LegacyGT.com

FX350 Slipping With 15k

JermTheElf

So I've really liked this clutch aside from the occasional chatter. Holding power was great. It did take a rather high RPM to take off from a stop to be comfy but I got used to it.

I launched the car last month and it glazed the clutch over a little. After two days of normal driving the clutch rebedded and it drove like normal. Yesteday I went to accelerate in 5th gear and as soon as the turbo started spooling I caught a wiff of clutch and the RPM's shot up a little.

Now during engagement from a stop it slips and under any bit of load in higher gears it will slip.

There are only 15k miles on this clutch.

So now I know I need to replace it. On the dyno I made around 375 TQ. I'm looking at the ACT Street Series HD clutch or the Exedy Stage 2.

This is my daily driver. I'm afraid to go with the FX350 again because of this 15k mile failure. I read reviews about the ACT and they all seem to be very good.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't make nearly as much power as you do, but I've been reading all the threads about clutches as I'm deciding which one to get.

The ACT, from what I've read has a much heavier pedal, so don't skip leg day!

I don't make nearly as much power as you do, but I've been reading all the threads about clutches as I'm deciding which one to get.

The ACT, from what I've read has a much heavier pedal, so don't skip leg day!

Never skip leg day.

I've heard some say it's heavier than stock and some say it's only a little heavier than stock. I had an Exedy Stage 1 and that was TOUGH.

• Moderators
Never skip leg day.

I've heard some say it's heavier than stock and some say it's only a little heavier than stock. I had an Exedy Stage 1 and that was TOUGH.

If you ditched the Exedy for the FX350, I'm not sure you'll be happy with the ACT based on the reviews I've seen on pedal feel

The more I read, the more it seems people are more for the Comp Stage 2

What about the spec series clutches (is that what they are called?)...whatever Max Capacity uses...?

Southbend is another option to look at, maybe talk to thefultonhow about those, I think he has some experience.

Good luck, either way--choosing a clutch for these cars sucks.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Pedal feel on my ACT HD (30,000miles+) is much heavier than the FX350s I have driven in customers' cars. That being said I never have any take-off chatter, and the engagement is very gradual.

I have not driven an HD on a car with that much torque, so I can't speak to holding capacity.

If I were you I would replace the clutch disk with a full-faced FX300 disc and call it a day.

I noticed today that I have a squeaking noise when I push the clutch in which made me remember that a few weeks ago I had a slight squeal when coming off of the clutch as it was engaging. I am also able to move through the gears with engine off and clutch engaged (depressed) without resistance. Underdog was very helpful and mentioned that the pressure plate may not be functioning properly

Why wouldn't you be able to move through the gears with the engine off and the clutch engaged?

I thought I remembered not being able to get into third fourth and fifth with the pedal out before. Could be mistaken. It wouldn't make sense that I couldn't, but was just something I thought was different.

With the engine off and the clutch engaged (pedal out) not every gear will fall right in. Usually you can get one or two with minimal effort, and possibly even the others if you really jam it, but the input shaft and output shafts are fixed (to the engine and wheels) so without some play they should not all engage easily.

Engine off and clutch disengaged (pedal pressed) the input shaft is free to rotate so all gears can be easily engaged.

For 375ftlbs I'd put a Spec 2+ in it. My 2+ was still going strong at 85,000 miles but the car wasn't that much power. My Spec 2 at my current power level for 34,000 miles has been flawless since the first time I pushed the pedal in.

The 2+ had a bit more howl when engaging 1st gear from a stop sign then the 2 has, but Spec said that is normal because of the material in the disc. The 2+ would also chatter when damp, sometimes. A neutral clutch drop when fix that every time.

While the car is rolling, put it in neutral, and let the clutch pedal slam to the top of its travel. It wouldn't chatter for a long time or the next damp day, sometimes, which some of the OEM clutches would do.

Nice thing about the Spec 2+ is it will take slipping and launching the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm debating between replacing with a Spec 2+ or the Comp clutch. Any comments on engagement? I'd like a low point of engagement, the FX350 was a little high for my liking.

The only thing I'm noticing is that the Comp Clutch comes with a lightweight flywheel, which I've heard to stay away from with these cars. Any input there?

Use an OE WRX single mass flywheel. I had a Spec, it was decent but it didn't last long....but then again it went down the quarter mile about a hundred times. Forget ACT unless your like a leg work out. That ACT wore out quickly also. I just installed an FX300 and the drivability is beautiful. However I though it was slipping a tad in 4th under heavy acceleration the other day but last night WOT in 5th it held tight. Fingers crossed.

Jerm, make sure you clean the FW and pressure plate with degreaser before you assemble it.

I put a light coat of grease on the tranny snout and end of the input shaft where it goes into the pilot bearing.

Also make sure the TOB hasn't fallen off the fork before you start bolting the tranny up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just called Clutch Masters. They said if i ship the old clutch to them and they inspect it and find that it failed because of the product they would stand behind it. I get the feeling that in the end im going to have to buy another clutch. Owning this car, I might as well just burn all my money in the fireplace..

Archived