LegacyGT.com

I am considering moving to Austin TX from SoCal

mycotopian

Austin is a really nice place to live.

If you are jsut considering anywhere else in Texas, these are some good places to look at other than Austin:

Dallas suburbs i.e. Irving, Ft. Worth, Plano, Carrolton

Houston Suburbs i.e. Katy, Woodlands, Sugarland, ClearLake, or Houston city, i.e. Memorial, Bellaire, University Place. All areas have good schools, nice locations, awesome houses.

PM if you want some more information etc. on Houston, since I live here. :)

I've lived here all my life. Austin is probably the closest thing to socal you'll find in Texas. The pace of life is very different here versus the rest of Texas. While everyone else is rush x3, Austin takes its sweet time with everything. That does include traffic and road construction however.

Austin per capita is the most connected (internet) city in the states. We were recently rated in the Top 10 as far as techie cities go. There are wifi areas everywhere. There is live music anywhere you go, so if you and the wifey are into that - cool.

As far as raising a family - I wouldn't know first hand because I haven't done that yet - but I think it will suit you just fine. The entire city (minus maybe 6th street) is pretty kid friendly. There are some good schools around here as as well when they are old enough for that.

PM me if you have any other questions.

sounds good guys, I am working on liquidating my socal assets and trying to find a home now. It's awesome because once I sell my 1240sqft condo that I own in norcal. I can step into a 3000 sqft house in austin with 1/2 an acre and a detached garage with room for a lift in Lake Travis area for only about $100k more.

How is the lake btw? Is it a teenage hangout or more for fishing etc?

Plenty of lakes to choose from. Lake Austin right in town, then Lake Travis, then Lake Buchanan (I think), etc. A previous poster was absolutely correct in saying that Austin is the most Cal-like city in TX. Hilly, diverse, great music scene, a bit liberal, plenty of water, tho not the salty variety. If you're into outdoor activities there's plenty of road and mountain (OK trail) biking, rock climbing, sailing and other pastimes. The weather is a bit hotter and more humid than what you have now, but it's certainly not Houston. I think you'll be very happy there. Where are you going to work?

Austin is a great place to live/work/study etc... That is definitely one place I wish I would have gone to school. As far as matching SoCal...Dallas would be closest if you're talking about pretentious, plastic and overly idiotic people/drivers. :lol: Can you tell I'm trying to get out of here? :) In any case, Austin is a great place to raise a family. I'd do it. :)

I'm a born & raised Texan. grew up in the Houston area. went to U.T. Austin for five years getting my B.S. in Engineering. Austin is absolutely a fabulous place to live. Friendly people, relaxed atmosphere, college town, state capital, well kept, most of the freeways have been updated to better than Cal stds.

The cost of living there has risen in the past decade as Dell and the other computer industry companies exploded onto the scene. But you can still find a really nice home within 30 minutes drive (or less) of downtown for around $200k and up.

My dad bought a ranch about an hour's drive outside of Austin to retire. I dream of taking it over in about 20 years and keeping it in the family.

While it would be sad to loose a good So.Cal peep, you & your family will find it a great place to live.

Yea, Austin is a great place to live and raise a family. There are tons of family places to go hang out. It's the best of all worlds. Natural amenities, big city, small town,family places, live music and good food. I love it here.

Well, I was stationed at Hood from 01-04 and travelled to Austin alot... Its grown alot..last time I was down there (Thanksgiving)..there was major construction going on to engulf the outer towns nto the Austin area Metroplex...If you want to stay out of the big city then Georgetown is close by and still relatively small. Also, STAY AWAY FROM KILLEEN..It is to smal to support its 150K population..I mean 8 o'clock back to back traffic WTF!!

How is the lake btw? Is it a teenage hangout or more for fishing etc?

Hmm.. really depends on what lake you go to.

My lake property / boat is on LBJ. It is a good hour or so drive from Austin, but its the only constant level lake around here. Where as other lakes are down right now, and can take swings of 40 feet in either direction, LBJ doesn't move a lot at all. That is nice for launching boats off public ramps.

For the most part LBJ is home to either retirees, weekenders from other Texas cities, and the ultra rich (Horseshoe Bay - think creator of AOL).

• 1 month later...
the wide found this place for us to move to until we find a nice house. Anybody familiar with them?

http://www.mansionsatsteinerranch.com/Welcome.html

very nice, you should like 'em.....if you want advice from someone who's lived there, go to nasioc.com and PM Livyathanzero....he may still live there....

If you can read this, you're following too close.

Click Me

Archived