LegacyGT.com

Rotor damage due to over-torqued wheels

a.lim

My rotors were over-torqued by a clumsy mechanic who used an impact gun to tighten the lug nuts and ever since then I started feeling pulsating effects on my pedal.

I just bought new rotors, but I'm afraid the rotors may not be the root of the problem. Can over-torqued wheels cause any other damage besides the rotors? Like the wheel hub getting "warped" too if that is such a thing? Wheel bearing damage? I don't want my brand new rotors to start warping/pulsating again.

• 3 months later...
For what it's worth.....way back had issues with vibrations that I couldn't really track down. Someone smart advised to loosen and retorge wheels to specs. Problem went away and never came back at least on that particular set of rotors.

So if the mechanic say torqued down one nut all the way before the others, then the rotor's initial seating would not be flush, but instead slightly inward at the corner that was torqued first. So as Drogos said, you just take off the wheel and put it back on by tightening the lug nuts little by little. I start by doing them all figer tight, then a little tight with socket wrench, then torque to spec, all in star-tracing pattern. Basically, you ease all the lug nuts on so they are all close to even. Takes care of the wobble.

What you mechanic allegedly did is typical crappy wheel install behavior for people who get lazy with an impact. Impacts are great for removing things, but most usually should not be used for installing things. There is no way to tell how tight the impact is making things, until you have a LOT of practice.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

since it happened im actually on a new set of rotors and i torqued them with the usual procedure I always do, hand tight using star pattern then torque down to spec star pattern...

but the problem came back after a couple thousand miles so im convinced something else is damaged like either it is the hub itself (runout) or something more severe. what other parts can cause this vibrating issue? dont want to spend $$$ on new wheel hubs and find out it was something else..

if rotors can warp.. can wheel hubs warp as well?

I can't imagine them getting that hot. If the problem came back after a few thousand miles, perhaps (just consider it) your driving and you rotors are not friends.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I can't imagine them getting that hot. If the problem came back after a few thousand miles, perhaps (just consider it) your driving and you rotors are not friends.

I think he was asking if hub can warp from over tourqing ....I have no clue by the way....seems like a stretch

• I Donated
I have never seen a warped hub from over torqued lugs. Even warped rotors from over torques lugs are less common than people think.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
For your vibration....first retorque the wheels. Then machine the rotors. Then start looking for bad axles bushings and front end parts

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
Im been mechanic for over 10yrs. and I agree with broknindarkagain.

I speak from experience as well.

Lug studs generally break before enough stress can be put on other things to warp them.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived