LegacyGT.com

Synthetic Oil vs Conventional Oil.

I had my oil changed at the dealership last month. I normally have them put Mobile 1 synthetic oil in there. I brain farted and forgot to tell them to put Mobile 1 in there and they put conventional oil in my car. The guy at the dealership said it wouldn't be a problem. The dealership is a Chevrolet and Subaru dealership.

Here is the problem I've noticed. There is substantially more turbo lag after the oil changed. Everything else is seams ok. Sometime my car ideals a little rough, but that has happened before with synthetic oil in it. Doesn't happen that often.

So my question is this, should I change my oil back to synthetic now or wait to my next scheduled oil changed? I have about 1,500 miles to go before my next oil change.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Switching from synthetic oil to conventional oil will not cause problems.

I have read and seen the problems with Mobil 1. I have also heard stories from my FSM as well.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

^^ I agree. Just wait until your next oil change. I do agree with PhilT though about that mobil 1 oil, it's a time bomb that you willingly drop right in your car. I've never heard anything particularity good about it, but I've heard plenty of bad things about it. Stick pennzoil or Quaker-state. Those are the two best oils out there with pennzoil being the best.

^ here ya go!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58023&highlight=mobil

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118449&highlight=mobile (this one is a joke. top one is not)

Other than it being ridiculously expensive, many people have reported that Subarus burn up full synthetic like crazy, and there some stories of cars running extremely rough and even one story of a guy who had his engine blow after switching over, but I think other factors were probably involved. With so much speculation running around, I would just play it safe and stick with something else... I still stick with conventional oil personally. I just bring myself to put synthetic in my engine. I believe dinosaur power is the only way to go!

I had a 2000 Civic Si and I have used Mobil 1 since then. In 2002, I made a trip to San Antonio and on my way back to WA, I stopped in Tuscon, AZ to fill up and decided to check my oil because it was so f*****g hot. I remember I had to put a quart in because the dipstick didn't have any oil on it.

Was it because of the extreme heat or is it just Mobil 1?

And for those of you who live in that area, I don't know how you guys do it. The picture of the temp in my aviator was taken at the Hover Dam in June. I almost died.

Don't worry about oil as long as it meets spec. Conventional or synthetic 95% of the battle is changing it in a timely matter and checking/topping it off. The people who ruin engines with "Mobile 1" fail to check their oil, instead of pulling out a mirror to see the real culprit who never checked the level every so often or maybe after it got changed.

The remaining 5% matters on conventional, synthetic, brand etc.

And for those of you who live in that area, I don't know how you guys do it. The picture of the temp in my aviator was taken at the Hover Dam in June. I almost died.

Ah, that's nothing. I was in Phoenix when it hit 122. It was still 110 that night at 10pm. :lol:

Don't worry about oil as long as it meets spec. Conventional or synthetic 95% of the battle is changing it in a timely matter and checking/topping it off. The people who ruin engines with "Mobile 1" fail to check their oil, instead of pulling out a mirror to see the real culprit who never checked the level every so often or maybe after it got changed.

The remaining 5% matters on conventional, synthetic, brand etc.

that there really is the truth..

Ah, that's nothing. I was in Phoenix when it hit 122. It was still 110 that night at 10pm. :lol:

Holy Crap, its 88 right now where I am in PA, and I feel like I'm dying. Of coarse we have very humid heat here, whereas your heat is dry. Dry heat isn't near as bad... at least not for people, with engines it's a different matter..

People on here might want to familiarize themselves with the concept of:

Corelation does not equal causation

It would be EXTREMELY unlikely that a brand of oil, especially one as highly regarded, tested, and popular as Mobil1 would cause engine failures. Unbelievable level of hysteria on this board about Mobil1, and all completely unfounded.

Dino oil all day man.

Waste money on man-made or highly refined dino oil with no payoff? Sounds stupid to me...

Used to be a part of a Supermodified race team. Big block Chevy 454 bored to 468. $30,000 engine that put out 830 horses at 7,000 RPM naturally aspirated wth fuel injection and velocity stacks. Ran on dino oil all season long with no issues whatsoever.

The viscosity of oil makes more of a difference than whether or not it's synthetic or caster oil. Besides, even if you did run synthetic oil all the time that claims it doesn't break down for 5,000, 7,000 or 10,000 miles, you shouldn't run oil that long anyway. The manual says replace the oil every 7K miles for normal driving, every 3k miles for extreme driving I believe. If you start your car, you fall into the "Extreme" driving category. Replace your oil by the book, not by what the oil container says. After all, they're trying to sell you oil, Subaru is trying to make sure you get maximum performance and longevity from your automobile purchase.

Some manufacturers don't reccommend synthetic oil for the first 10K miles of a car's life anyway. This certainly says something about how much of a hype it is.

Not saying this oil is bad for your engine, or that it's going to hurt your engine, just saying that it's pretty much a hype. It won't increase performance, and it shouldn't override standard oil change intervals. How could a 10W30 synthetic oil increase performance over a 10W30 dino oil? It can't because they are both the exact same viscosity, and if you replace the filter every oil change like you should then who cared about how well it's refined?

And you took your car to a stealership for a simple oil change? Why? To each his own, but you payed twice as much for the same oil you get at any other shop or Autozone.

I am prepared to get flamed for this post, because people here tend to love to overspend on everyday simple items that really only have a simple purpose. No offense to anyone in particular, its just that I have a crystal ball in front of me right now telling me someone here thinks synthetic oil is Gods gift to Earth, and he feels I have to know about it.

:lol: It's all in good fun.

Edit: The increased turbo lag is in your head, a plecebo from knowing you are running what you think is inferior oil. Unless the Mobil 1 Synthetic oil you're using is made with super hyper crazy bearing lubricating steroid juice, it will not add anymore lubrication to your turbo than any other dino (Caster) oil, therefor not impacting turbo performance one bit... Even by accident.

Archived