LegacyGT.com

Eye Sight Calibration, or not?

The bickering on this threat is lame.

I have cracks that fit the technical service bulletin but since it's aftermarket glass, there's not much I can do but pay to have it replaced.

The cost from safelite is around $740 with a calibration.

The cost from a local yokel is around $300, doubtful that he will bother with a calibration.

Pay twice as much? No idea, after reading this thread, what the middle of the road solution is. So much noise in this thread makes it unhelpful.

The bickering on this threat is lame.

I have cracks that fit the technical service bulletin but since it's aftermarket glass, there's not much I can do but pay to have it replaced.

The cost from safelite is around $740 with a calibration.

The cost from a local yokel is around $300, doubtful that he will bother with a calibration.

Pay twice as much? No idea, after reading this thread, what the middle of the road solution is. So much noise in this thread makes it unhelpful.

Who died and made you King.[emoji33]

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

@Jenk2k...no noise Jen...if after reading the thread you're still unclear what you should do than not sure anyone else will be able to help. Bottom line is that you should do the following:

1. Buy OEM glass

2. Have your dealer recalibrate the ES

3. No middle of the road solution

4. Done!

However, as was stated throughout this thread, if you buy after-market glass and fail to have the ES recalibrated...then if anything happens and ES doesn't respond properly, you have ZERO recourse since you failed to follow Subaru's recommendations.

Crystal clear now?

Yeah, thanks for restating your opinion. I'm not impressed with your dominion or whatever.

The choice between aftermarket and OEM is one of balance on any car you buy. If your argument is simply blindly accept whatever a dealer tells you to do, then that's a respectable choice. But it's not an automatic one for me. With the aftermarket Pilkington glass that's on it now, I can already tell that the eyesight and LDW works great. You are basically suggesting that the refraction must be different enough on different types of glass that the calculation made by the stereo cameras would be materially off to miscalculate the distance between you and another car or fail to recognize lanes. It makes sense that on relatively new technology that the manufacturer would err on the side of extreme caution. A technical or semi technical one would be useful for discussion.

Oh, forgot to mention, the two dealers in town - neither do ANY glasswork. They send 100% of their business to safelite. They don't use OEM glass. They do a recalibration, but they do not use Carlex.

Your academic 'argument' for just following every thing the dealer says is basically "I think you should do it because you should do it" and does't really explain any reason why. I don't really care if you've posted a thousand times or two, or own the forum or whatever, your response isn't particularly helpful. Of course the Acura dealer will sell you a 250 dollar rotor, doesn't mean i care to buy it.

BTW, although I live in Portland now, I lived in Jax (NW St. Aug) for 20 yrs up until two years ago.

Edited by Jenk2k

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

William Shakespeare

Edited by Yoda_One

Yep, my money, my life. Just be sure to not stop suddenly while driving in front of me or else I might crash into you due to a mis-calibrated piece of technology. I guess ES has made my own judgement and driving abilities irrelevant?

Call me a fool all you want, but the reason I posted a response was to state that I personally did not pay the extra money to have ES re-calibrated over a year ago and ES 'appears' to be working the same as it did before the windshield replacement. My vote was for 'no', it's not always necessary to re-calibrate.

And I'm sure that Shakespeare was thinking about me when he coined that phrase. Maybe it's written in the owners manual?

Yeah, thanks for restating your opinion. I'm not impressed with your dominion or whatever.

The choice between aftermarket and OEM is one of balance on any car you buy. If your argument is simply blindly accept whatever a dealer tells you to do, then that's a respectable choice. But it's not an automatic one for me. With the aftermarket Pilkington glass that's on it now, I can already tell that the eyesight and LDW works great. You are basically suggesting that the refraction must be different enough on different types of glass that the calculation made by the stereo cameras would be materially off to miscalculate the distance between you and another car or fail to recognize lanes. It makes sense that on relatively new technology that the manufacturer would err on the side of extreme caution. A technical or semi technical one would be useful for discussion.

Oh, forgot to mention, the two dealers in town - neither do ANY glasswork. They send 100% of their business to safelite. They don't use OEM glass. They do a recalibration, but they do not use Carlex.

Your academic 'argument' for just following every thing the dealer says is basically "I think you should do it because you should do it" and does't really explain any reason why. I don't really care if you've posted a thousand times or two, or own the forum or whatever, your response isn't particularly helpful. Of course the Acura dealer will sell you a 250 dollar rotor, doesn't mean i care to buy it.

BTW, although I live in Portland now, I lived in Jax (NW St. Aug) for 20 yrs up until two years ago.

Well written. The Lead service advisor at the Subaru dealer that both me and Securityguy bought our cars from told me DIRECTLY NUMEROUS TIMES THEY DONT DO GLASS AND TO USE SAFELITE.

Yet a couple of guys here on this thread are swinging purses like 60 year old Russian ladies waiting at the bus stop.

You buy a car for its safety and then don't do what the manufacturer tells you to do??? When it doesn't do as it's supposed to do, you will have no body to be pissed off at but yourself. I love my wife and my kids and ES was a big reason for purchasing a Subaru. If you don't love them enough to want to ensure they are well protected and that your ES is working exactly as designed then.......................:spin:

Hey, remember Meredith, the spicy red head from Brown's Subaru. When the windshield on my wife's car cracked, I asked her what the process to replace it would be and she said, USE SAFELITE, ASK FOR OEM GLASS, NO RECAL NECESSARY.

Guess what, its been a year, and no issues.

Brilliant. You are correct. Safelite (The company which State Farm insurance recommends) did the install at the Subaru Dealership using the OEM glass purchased from the dealer. After the install the service person did the inspection and verified the washer was working properly then did the calibration(reimbursed by SF) Had my choice of a free loaner, wait or pickup and delivery.

I wonder why doesn't Safelite sell automobiles :spin:

There is no right or wrong answer it is Your Choice and Your Vehicle. Thank G-d for that freedom.

The only issue is the right or not to do a process which you feel is necessary or not but what the manufacturer recommends for assurance that there safety tool is working to their variants.

My point of view is I paid extra for Eyesight and I want to sleep at night knowing when the wife is behind the wheel that Eyesight Cameras are working to the manufacturer 's specs.

Again it is Your Decision!

Edited by Yoda_One

Let's not lose sight of the fact that it is NOT the dealer telling you to use OEM glass...so let's be factual about this...it is written in your owners manual from the engineers that designed your car and the ES electronics.

@Jenk2k...not trying to "impress" you or anyone with my "dominion or whatever" I am only stating a FACT that you can agree to live with or not. Not being a pompous @$$ by any means...you said you were "confused" and I was trying to help you make a solid decision based on facts. No one on this forum really knows if the recalibration is 100% necessary based on the glass you bought unless you have it done to see if it was "off". Maybe, for me, if I bought Safelite glass and did a recal and it proved unnecessary, then the next windshield (if same exact manufacturer) I may pass on the recal. However, I would certainly get it done for my and mine families peace of mind. It is not that expensive in the scheme of things.

@Too40gawlf...I do remember Meredith my friend...loved that woman at Manassas and always took great care of me and my cars but when my son's Impreza windshield broke, I was told to go to Safelite too but I requested that SL use OEM Subaru glass which they did...it just took a few extra days to get.

Not swinging purses but I am very safety conscious and have always been. When I see people not doing something that is highly recommended by the manufacturer...not the salesman...and the cost is insignificant and could impact the safety of the car you bought for all the right reasons, it forces me to speak my mind.

For those of you that don't like my persistence or my train of thought, then please accept my apology. @zimbonies...thank you Sir for your smart @$$ comment and I hear you loud and clear...I will stay away from Pittsburgh:lol:

I am now finished with swinging my purse:p

Edited by securityguy

And I'm sure that Shakespeare was thinking about me when he coined that phrase. Maybe it's written in the owners manual?

Good one my friend.

Safelite (The company which State Farm insurance recommends) did the install at the Subaru Dealership using the OEM glass purchased from the dealer. After the install the service person did the inspection and verified the washer was working properly then did the calibration(reimbursed by SF) Had my choice of a free loaner, wait or pickup and delivery.

So insurance covered the new glass and the re-calibration?

Just curious. I'm hopefully getting a 2018 soon and while it makes 100% sense to do OEM glass and re-calibration, if it's at an out of pocket cost that could get very expensive here in Phoenix. Freeways are lined with dirt and rocks, and chips/cracks are very, very common unfortunately.

• 4 years later...
On 6/20/2016 at 8:16 AM, mike2401 said:

My 3.6R Subaru Legacy 2016 with Eye Sight needs windshield replacement.

My dealer says eye sight calibration isn't necessary because they are professionals and don't mess up the cameras during the windshield replacement. However, if I had safelite do it, it would need to be calibrated.

The dealer said if it's grossly out of alignment, an error light will show.

My concern is what if it's slightly out of alignment.

Thoughts?

You don't need calibration on this. The system is mounted on the car itself whereas most system cameras are on the glass. So any oem glass quality will work and you can save the money. Your dealer is correct, safelite taking advantage of you in this case.

9 hours ago, silverton said:

we always did eyesight calibration with windshield replacement at the dealer i worked for

That's because you work at the dealer and make money from this.  I'm an installer and have installed so many of these over the years, no issue.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, scc4561 said:

That's because you work at the dealer and make money from this.  I'm an installer and have installed so many of these over the years, no issue.

you'd make money from the recalibration too... I'm not saying it is necessary, I'm not saying it's not... just who wants to fuck around with a safety thing?  It's like saying "yeah, these $25 brake pads are probably good enough" yeah... they probably are... but do you really want to fuck around and find out?

Edited by silverton
  • Like 1