LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy vs. Infinit G35x vs Acura TL

I've decided my next car will have all wheel drive. There is a rumour that the TL will have AWD for 2005, and for certain the Infinit G35x has it. It looks like a loaded Legacy will come in just under C$40K. It is only spitting distance for the G35x (about C$43K give or take) and the G35x is supposedly getting a horsepower bump to 280hp with a V6 this year, with an overhauled interior, that seems a lot nicer than the Legacy. I really like the Legacy but for some reason it just looks and feels like a C$34K car to me. I don't know what to do!

I would have to agree, you need to test drive each one. Like you said the TL is rumored to be coming with AWD but it isn't here yet so there is no use even speculating. The G35x is not going to be as fast as the legacy.. the interior is not as nice as it should be for a car of that price (from what I have read and seen) and to get one comperably equipped will be waaay more $$ than the GT. It's really up to you though. The drive should be the final answer. Personally there isn't another car on the planet that can offer me what the new GT does. It kicks!

dirk_puslich, Funny thing is that I am in the same boat as you are. I too am considering between the Legacy, G35, and TL. I would love an AWD car but it is not necessity, But I love those AWD advantages (better handling, no Torque Steer, etc) My brother has a G35 sedan (Non AWD) but let me tell you that car haulls Butt. Not taking away anything from the Legacy which we all need to test drive. My brother has owned the car for 1 1/2 years now with ZERO problems. I went to look at the TL and the fit & finish to that car is Superb. With all those gadgets ( I love gadgets in cars) Navi, Blutooth(standard), XMRadio(Standard) gives a lot to think about. The engine is smooth but requires you to maintain it it the higher RPM's to achieve the engines potential. Off the line is going to be the slower than the G35 and to the Legacy due to not having low end torque. also it is a FWD(if this is an issue with you). As for the Legacy.. We know what we have been reading, and is just a matter of time to see what it is capable of doing. Also the two cars you are comparing (G35X and TL) offer these kind of ameneties but at a higher cost as well. Like many here will tell you, go test drive them and get a feel for them. Go for what you feel most comfortable with.

whats wrong with G35 coupe?? because they are RWD?? im thinking about G35 coupe, legacy, maybe EVO MR or sti

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

I require AWD for some of the places I go and some of the stuff I do. Simply, in any snowy area, I see no alternative that offers what the Legacy or any Subaru for that matter does for the cost it will be. Go test drive them, but if you are bent on AWD, the company that chose AWD as a mainstay and knows how to make it well has done a superb job. That's why in Japan, the Legacy has been the car to look up to in it's segment for quite some time now. ;)

[quote name='team23jordan']whats wrong with G35 coupe?? because they are RWD?? im thinking about G35 coupe, legacy, maybe EVO MR or sti[/quote] Aren't you like 15 or something? How are you proposing to afford them?

TL with AWD would be great but i doubt acura will put that AWD on anyother model except RL any time soon...TL's only been out for less than a year...u think they'll start a new chasis with AWD? lol.....most car have to go through at least 4~5 year before undergoing complete make over......as for G35, i think the AWD with that is just a reassurange for snow condition...it's not build for performance...just go look up on G35 forums and see what they have to say about G35 AWD..it's not meant to be a performance add-on.......but nevertheless. TL and G35 would beat Legacy in term of luxury and comfort........i don't think anyone can really argue that.......so it comes down to ...how much luxury and how much performance u really need?.....just my p.o.v :lol: PS: all 3 are geat cars..btw :D

The only other car I am seriously considering instead of a Legacy at the moment, is an STI, with a trunk lid swap to remove the wing. I've looked at and considered a couple of other cars like the Acura TL, no cloth seats was a deal breaker, and also the RX8.

i prefer the outlook of Legacy more than TL and G35; it looks younger, lighter and sportier. let's see how well the new interior of G35 can do. but the current G35's interior design is noway close to TL and Legacy. on the other hand, TL is FWD that is not my choice. furthermore, the price of B4 is lowest among all too, though its not officially confirmed yet (ofcox, we have to look at the "invoice" price too). and also have to keep an eye on the option's price. and yeah, i have heard the G35 are pretty reliable, check out their forum for more information. as no one here have ever driven a USDM B4 so far, we can't make a conclusion or comment which is better. yet the over-all package "SEEMS" to be the best. i just hope they will have a bumper option available. P.S. no offense, but i think TL and G35 looks like a daddy car.

Heh, another cloth seat guy. ;) That's part of my deal too. If I'm getting this car for performance, I want to stay in one place. :cool: But if luxury is desired, at least it's available. Before, we were required to get it with the GT. The trend has reversed itself and went back to the previous method of sales, leather or cloth.

[quote name='kage'][quote name='team23jordan']whats wrong with G35 coupe?? because they are RWD?? im thinking about G35 coupe, legacy, maybe EVO MR or sti[/quote] Aren't you like 15 or something? How are you proposing to afford them?[/quote] i have about 12G in my bank account right now by end of the summer, hopefully, i'll have around 16~18g my moms gonna do the cosign thingy and im gonna pay the monthly payments

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

The Legacy should be the cheapest, and 2nd fastest of the bunch you've listed. My friend has a G35 and its really nice, but my problem is configured, its almost 40k for what I want! Word is they are adding some new subtle tweeks to the look of the G35 next year.

[quote name='Tide']The Legacy should be the cheapest, and 2nd fastest of the bunch you've listed. My friend has a G35 and its really nice, but my problem is configured, its almost 40k for what I want! Word is they are adding some new subtle tweeks to the look of the G35 next year.[/quote] I know exactly what you mean - the price of the G35 6MT is the only thing holding me back. I priced it out at $35k for what I want (aero + sunroof). If it was as faster I would be sold.

[quote name='team23jordan']i have about 12G in my bank account right now by end of the summer, hopefully, i'll have around 16~18g my moms gonna do the cosign thingy and im gonna pay the monthly payments[/quote] Good for you for being able to save that much money at your age! Now that I've said that, why would you blow it all on a car for ****'s sake?! Investing that money now would yield unbelievable dividends later on. Compound interest is your best friend right now. Jeebus I sound old. Seriously though, a car (ESPECIALLY a new car) is one of the worst "investments" in the world. Unless you're buying a collector's item, you're pretty much guaranteed to be pissing that money down a well. Obviously you want a fun car - get yourself a fun project car and do it on the cheap. There are tons of older cars out there that are more than enough for anyone to have fun with. Of course, that's all coming from someone with a middle class background trying to make it in life. If your parents are rich and you don't have to worry about money, then *shrug* more power to ya.

I'll back you up on that advice kage! A new car is not an "investment" in any sense of the word. team23 - If I were you, I would be shopping for a house you could put that $15k into as a downpayment then rent it out. In a couple years you could have 3 or 4 (or as many as you'd like) rental houses and somebody else (your tenants) can be making you're car payments for you. -Ian

[quote name='team23jordan']i have about 12G in my bank account right now by end of the summer, hopefully, i'll have around 16~18g my moms gonna do the cosign thingy and im gonna pay the monthly payments[/quote] Good for you T23, I say do what you want with the money since you earned it. There are way to many young people in this country who are given high value items, such as cars, without ever doing a decent days work in their life. You just need to look on the Imprezza boards to see how spoiled some of these pricks are. [/Rant]

[quote name='goneskiian']I'll back you up on that advice kage! A new car is not an "investment" in any sense of the word. team23 - If I were you, I would be shopping for a house you could put that $15k into as a downpayment then rent it out. In a couple years you could have 3 or 4 (or as many as you'd like) rental houses and somebody else (your tenants) can be making you're car payments for you. -Ian[/quote] Ian, he's not even 18 yet - he can't sign for a mortgage. He can't even sign for a car loan by himself. :lol: Not exactly the worst problems to have though. "Oh no, what do I do with all this money?"

If I had that money at that age, I'd find a good used Miata 1.6 or 1.8 and buy it cash. And then have the funnest summer ever learning to really drive. As long as you take care of it, it'll be worth nearly as much as you paid for it one or two years down the line if you want to move up in the world, and during that time, you'll learn more about driving dynamics than you will in nearly any other vehicle. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Well if Mom will cosign the car loan maybe she'll cosign the mortgage too! :lol: OK, we'll stop preachin' to the kid and let him have some fun. Do what Paul says, go buy a used Miata and take a couple performance driving courses and you'll be way ahead of 99% of the people on the road as far as skill and confidence behind the wheel. That and you'll be a lot safer than 100% of your friends! :wink: :lol: :lol: Cheers! -Ian

I couldn't do that because I learned last weekend I sure as heck couldn't fit in one without becoming the hunchback of notre dame. :lol: I'm not very supportive of my head protecting the car in any potential roll-over. So no Miatas here. But I agree, from everything I'm told, it's the car to have fun in and learn vehicle dynamics in. Heck, generally the fastest time of the day for our local AutoX's is a Miata, generally beats out Vettes and only comes close when my bud brings his STi. ;)

Archived