LegacyGT.com

High mile 2005 GT 5speed - what to look for?

shredswithpiks

So, I've been hunting for a new daily beater and the 05-09 Legacy is definitely on my list of wanted cars. Trouble is, I live in a seller's market for all things Subaru and it's fairly tough to find one in decent shape for under 10k (I'm a frugal guy and don't like commuting my nice cars into the ground).

There's a used auto broker near my office that has an '05 LGT manual advertized, but with no price and hardly any info on the car besides the photos. From the photos, the car looks incredibly clean... only issue is it's at ~180k miles.

Common things to look for in this car? Timing belt, axles, wheel bearings, turbo condition are all obvious... anything else?

Should this be a "don't even bother" with this many miles and the common issues with the '05?

Unless this is a ridiculously cheap entry (definitely not going to pay $10k for it or something like that) I'm not sure it would be worth it anyway... just curious if there's anyone else with a high mile LGT that can guide me to common failure points.

Are you working on it yourself, or paying a mechanic a per hour rate?

If you do get it you're looking at new timing belt in the near future, so you'd probably be best pulling the motor and doing a good/complete work over.... seals, head gasket, etc...

heres the deal

take the car to a subaru dealer, get it inspected, they will say you need 5k in repairs lol (cause 99% of dealers are scammers and tell you to replace shit you dont need)

you tell the seller youll split the repairs down the middle, and pay less for the car, and then take it to an actualy subie shop who will tell you you only need like 1,500 in repairs, cause theyre honest

worked for me!

if you decide not to get it checked, at LEAST get the engine compression tested

thatll tell you if the engine is about to go, and that itself can lower the price significantly by claiming the parts and labor of a new/rebuilt engine

Pay no more than $5,000 for it. Without full service history on it I would walk away. That many miles you have no idea what has been replaced or not?

Probably the best plan. Heard back from the seller and the asking price is presently $6000... I should have some room to talk them down, if everything else checks out ok.

Are you working on it yourself, or paying a mechanic a per hour rate?

If you do get it you're looking at new timing belt in the near future, so you'd probably be best pulling the motor and doing a good/complete work over.... seals, head gasket, etc...

I'm a pretty decent DIY mechanic, but engine pulls are something I don't do. Luckily there are a few very good and reputable Subaru shops near by (Colorado).

heres the deal

take the car to a subaru dealer, get it inspected, they will say you need 5k in repairs lol (cause 99% of dealers are scammers and tell you to replace shit you dont need)

you tell the seller youll split the repairs down the middle, and pay less for the car, and then take it to an actualy subie shop who will tell you you only need like 1,500 in repairs, cause theyre honest

worked for me!

if you decide not to get it checked, at LEAST get the engine compression tested

thatll tell you if the engine is about to go, and that itself can lower the price significantly by claiming the parts and labor of a new/rebuilt engine

Compression test will be a deal breaker! Thanks!

Seller claims timing belt service (including water pump, idlers, blah blah blah) was done within the last 15k miles, as well as replacing the turbo. Head gasket and seals are pricy, so that's a good negotiating point and something I'll check into as well.

Archived