LegacyGT.com

Windshield washer relay location?

I have no spray from my windshield washer. the fuse is good, the pump is good (i pulled it and checked it with a power supply), there is power at the pump but no spray will come out when either pulling the wiper handle or pressing the button on the end of the lever. There has to be a relay somewhere that is bad. anyone know where it is?

Yes i searched and was unable to find the answer.

I am not sure from your original post...is there power at the wiring harness that plugs into the pump or not? You said that the pump runs when you hook power up to it. Maybe the lines are plugged and the pump is indeed running?
It is still ugly.

Well first, when you pull the handle, fluid will not come out anyways. Have you checked to make sure there are no clogged lines and that the harness is plugged in on the washer bottle?
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

the pump runs when i powered it with a power supply and still shoots water, when plugged into the harness it won't run. both sides of the harness are +12V to ground, the fuse is good and there is power there too. I guess that switch in the lever must be bad.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
My washers aren't working, either. The rears work fine but the fronts don't work at all. Are they on separate pumps? On my last car there was a sort of check valve in the lines to the washer nozzles that would fail eventually; I hope someone has a similar (easy) fix

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If there is voltage at the pump when its unplugged, but the pump won't turn when plugged in, that tells me there is high resistance in the circuit. This could be a loose connection, defective switch or wires corroded internally. Wild guess is you used water in the reservoir in summer and its corroded the wires leading to the pump. Cut away the bad wire(s) and replace.

Much as I like to think I'm enviro-consious, I don't run straight water in my WW in summer. I usually dilute 50:50 to avoid the corrosion problems.

Thanks Entrepit!

Neither my end spray button or the "spray and wipe" worked when it was 25 deg outside. Now at 50 deg, the end of stalk button works! Am I looking at tearing into the steering wheel ? Are the contacts accessible with spray contact cleaner?

• 3 weeks later...

On my 2004.

Both pumps are mounted to the front of the washer tank in the Engine compartment. My rear wasn't spraying, while the front was.

To troubleshoot. Apply power directly to the pump. This is the recommendation from the Subaru shop manual. The connectors are keyed and different for front and rear. You can't mistakenly reverse them or plug them back on wrong.

The pump closer to the fender is the rear one, the one closer to the engine is the front one. The pumps operate by applying Ground, and are hot with the key in Run or accessory. The power connector to the pumps have a latch to hold the connector on. Press this in while you pull up on the connector to remove.

The terminal closest to this latch is the ground. The one farthest from the latch is hot. I built a test harness with the following:

• red and black 18 AWG jumper wire. - scrap from a PC powersupply
  • Inline fuse holder
  • 2 - Crimp on 1/4 inch (pushon) spade terminals - 1 insulated
  • 2 - Crimp on Forked connectors.
  • Momentary contact switch.

I connected the wires to the battery with the forked terminals at the terminal bolts.

I put the fuse holder on the +12v side. I put the insulated spade terminal on the end of the hot wire and connected to the pump terminal farthest from the connector latch. I connected the jumper ground to the battery and installed the momentary contact switch on the ground. I connected it up and pressed the switch. It operated the front pump but not the rear one.

I removed the rear pump from the tank and tapped it on a hard surface. (read: butterfingers fumbled and it hit the driveway) It must have freed something up. I applied direct power again, it started working again.

Edited by thesavo

• 2 months later...

I got mine fixed!

Is was poor contact from the wire connectors. Previous owner must have had a leaky battery, acid/ or fumes had got into the connector and corroded the contacts. Cut off the connectors and put spade connectors on the wires reconnected and all works well.

My wiper problem is fixed too. The wipers were stopping Mid windshield when turned off, you had to turn off when they were down.. Now the wipers return normally. A nice side bonus to my Work!

@ICT

Don't tear wheel yet. You probably have a bad contact at the pump. Colder temps can cause poor electrical connects to fail. Or you may have had frozen washer fluid in the lines..

Good luck.

Edited by Jeremy R

• 5 years later...

So yesterday my wagon wouldn't wash the windshield the way I've been doing it for 15 years.

Post 17 fixed the problem. Never knew that button was there. After having a 98' and 00' Legacy GT wagons, I just figured the 05 worked the same way, pull the lever.

See you can teach an old dog new tricks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here