LegacyGT.com

Bimmer AWD vs Subie AWD

I know this has been an ongoing discussion today (and earlier!), but wanted to get some different opinions consolidated in this thread...

What do you think of BMW's AWD compared to Subie's AWD in REAL WINTER conditions?

I mean, in northern climates (I'm in Canada, but also upper NY state, Colorado, etc) where's there tons of snow and ice and hills and back roads and where AWD is a necessity in the winter. Not talking about fancy driving here, just maintaining traction on the road!

Do you think one beats the other under these kinds of northern conditions?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did extensive testing in the snow this past weekend. I'd say the BMW's is a bit easier to drive in the snow than my LGT or 2.5RS. This is because the computer sorts everything out for you. You will maintain momentum and your intended path easier in the BMW.

The LGT has every bit as much traction though, it seems like. The 2.5rs would not make it up an icy driveway that the LGT had no problem with.

By the way, SUBIE AWD has about 5 versions sold today, and BMW has about 3 within the past 4 years.

and 99% of what you will read is internet forum opinion riddled with misinformation.... let that commence ! :lol:

If you drive like a maniac the Suby is better... When I was in Buffalo NY me and the local Suby crew would go out and find large expanses of open parking lot DURING a snow storm.

Accelerate up to 60-70 pitch it into a corner and with absolute consistency drift a 100 yard arc by feathering the throttle controlling the wheel spin and counter steering. With a little practice one could drift perfect doughnuts around stationary objects with ample throttle application and counter steering. INSANE amounts of fun. And once you get a few hours of practice on the snow with the symmetrical AWD its perfectly repeatable.

However if you drive normally all the electronics in the BMW tend to sort things out in a boring way. Probably better for the average driver. If you turn them off the nature of the AWD is not as good as the Suby and will not lend itself to controlled high speed shenanigans.

Example: Not my video, but one of my favorites. Love the symmetrical AWD and how gracefully it moves with all 4 wheels throwing snow...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdNoKOGES0Q]YouTube - Subaru WRX snow drift[/ame]

By the way, SUBIE AWD has about 5 versions sold today, and BMW has about 3 within the past 4 years.

OK, I was thinking the Spec B specifically. I have an '09.

I'm driving the Spec this winter and it's been very good for me. Lots of snow, ice and hills here and have had great control. I used to have a bimmer 325, not xDrive though and it was a disaster up here, that's why I got the Spec. Both cars had winter tires.

But was wondering if an xDrive would have been OK in the end...

If you drive like a maniac the Suby is better... When I was in Buffalo NY me and the local Suby crew would go out and find large expanses of open parking lot DURING a snow storm.

Accelerate up to 60-70 pitch it into a corner and with absolute consistency drift a 100 yard arc by feathering the throttle controlling the wheel spin and counter steering. With a little practice one could drift perfect doughnuts around stationary objects with ample throttle application and counter steering. INSANE amounts of fun. And once you get a few hours of practice on the snow with the symmetrical AWD its perfectly repeatable.

However if you drive normally all the electronics in the BMW tend to sort things out in a boring way. Probably better for the average driver. If you turn them off the nature of the AWD is not as good as the Suby and will not lend itself to controlled high speed shenanigans.

Example: Not my video, but one of my favorites. Love the symmetrical AWD and how gracefully it moves with all 4 wheels throwing snow...

I definitely think you have valid points there. Thankfully, the dsc on the bmw isn't too overbearing, and it has a mid-grade intervention mode (DTC) that lets you play around quite a bit before it tries to straighten you out. I haven't tried everything on "off" as much because I'm trying to avoid running my new car into a curb or something :lol:

I saw a 335i on pass time last night, none of those drag guys had a clue what his bimmer even was, they asked what mods he had and he said software, they pretty much marked him down for a 15 second pass. He went a 12.61 at 113mph

A catch with too much traction control and stability control is that it can hide the conditions from the driver too much and suddenly the driver finds that the road turns but the car doesn't. You can't override friction with electronics.
453747.png

^That is great :)

JuiceBox3 FTW. Supposed to be around 360-380 WHP depending on dyno.

Passtimes 335i was a JB2R(I don't know why he was running a race gas tune on pump gas) and 110 MPH 1/4....

The one i saw was a 113mph

If it was this guy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/RedBarron007/Picks%20I%20took%20of%20random%20things/DSC_0608.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/RedBarron007/Picks%20I%20took%20of%20random%20things/DSC_0611.jpg

It was 110 MPH and he posts on N54tech.com and E90post.com as Trill335;)

Archived