LegacyGT.com

AC Stops Blowing Cold Air at Higher engine temperatures

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could have some help with my 97 legacy wagon (AWD, 5-speed, flat 4cyl). I have recently run into some ac issues and my first thought was to charge up the ac with some R134a. Though it did need refrigerant, that wasn't the real problem. This problem only occurs when I am highway driving. After driving at 70mph for more than 15 minutes, the temp gauge on my dashboard starts climbing. Not to dangerous levels, but just enough so that once the temperature reaches a certain point, the ac stops blowing cold air. The problem does not occur at all when I drive below 60mph. When the ac stops blowing cold air, I can slow down to about 55, the temp gauge goes down, and the cold air blows in again.

Can anyone think of reasons that my ac is doing this?

Thanks,

legacee123

can you see through the condenser? i had a similar problem long ago with my old impala, turned out the condenser and rad were so mucked up i wasnt getting enough air flow through them to keep either system (cooling and ac) cold. took both out, sprayed them at self serve car wash and all good. it had so many bug skeletons in it, i was surprised it didnt overheat as soon as i started that car.

Your cars engine will obviously get its hottest at freeway speeds, being an auto tech, I would assume that your radiator is getting hot enough to cause the condenser pressures to increase to the point that your pressure cycling switch kicks in and shuts the compressor down. At this point, if this is the case, then your A/C system is functioning as designed. Most likely, if you correct the slight overheating issue, you could also correct the freeway speed A/C concern as well. I hope this info helps!

• 4 weeks later...
I took my alternator core out and it didn't pass the tests that they ran at my AutoZone. I replaced the alternator and the problems with my AC are gone. The cooling fan was fine, but my compressor clutch was not turning on and off properly. After I replaced the alternator, I could physically feel the slight difference in performance as my AC cycled on and off. Thanks for all of the help everyone!

Archived