LegacyGT.com

second turbo in month and a half

AI have put on a new turbo and a month and a half and it is giving me trouble again. I caught this one before any thing happened but it seems as if the turbo berings are siezing up. Not sure what is causing this and it is pricey to keep replacing turbos. I have checked the banjo bolt on top of the turbo it is clean and when the car is turned over i have oil flowing. I use this to travel toand from work it not run hard. Any ideas i love this car but at a loss. :confused:

the replacement turbo was bought new, changed the oil and filter and i replaced the banjo bolt that that supplies the turbo. Is there more than one banjo bolt that i need to check if so where is it located. I did not flush the oil cooler I thought changing the oil and filter was all i needed not sure how to go about flushing it but I will research this. Thanks:)

• I Donated Too
what mileage and have you really got good oil pressure - did the last turbo explode into the engine and you're washing debris from the old into the new? Are the oil feed lines truly clear and not crimped or flow restricted by accident? Where did you get the new Turbo from and is it another VF40 and did you get all the other parts needed to claim on the warranty - it is possible it's just not a good unit?

the replacement turbo was bought new, changed the oil and filter and i replaced the banjo bolt that that supplies the turbo. Is there more than one banjo bolt that i need to check if so where is it located. I did not flush the oil cooler I thought changing the oil and filter was all i needed not sure how to go about flushing it but I will research this. Thanks:)

This turbo if replaced by a dealer would have been covered by a 1yr/12,000 mile warranty. DIY not sure if a parts warranty applies.

• I Donated Too

Subaru warranty applies if you get the turbo install kit and the required new oil feed lines. Won't apply if you bolt the "wrong" turbo to the "wrong" engine - VF52 on an LGT is no warranty coverage. VF40 only for Subaru warranty on an LGT.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-982/Subaru-Legacy-GT-Turbo/Detail

In addition to those, you will also be required to purchase & install new Oil Feed Lines in order to validate the warranty on your newly purchased Turbo, so we included those as well.

This Kit Includes:

(1) Oil Feed Line To Turbo

(1) Oil Feed Line To Head

(1) Oil Return Hose

(1) Oil Return Hose Gasket

(2) Filter / Screen Banjo Bolts

(2) Filter / Screen Bolt Copper Washers

(8) Oil Feed Line Copper Washers

(1) Turbo To Downpipe Gasket

(1) Turbo To Up-Pipe Gasket

Possible oil pickup tube issue? Plenty of people have reported cracked pickup tubes.

^^This right here. I blew a turbo and checked my pan. Everthing looked good. I pulled the pick up and it looked great. Then I cleaned the pick up and saw the crack. It was cracked almost completely around the tube.

• 3 months later...
The last time I was on here I stated that my second Turbo went out on me. I really appreciate all the input I received. I was finally able to get around to working on it and I was blown away with my findings. When I pulled it off the nut on the turbine shaft was missing and I found it in my wait inlet tube. This was a factory ready to bolt on Turbo luckily for me no damage was done and the company made it good by sending a new one. I have a new issue my air inlet tube is shot I was able to nurse it to resuse the second time aroundbut now it has a tear about 2" long. If anyone now's where I can find a stock tube please let me know my Turbo will be here Wednesday. :icon_ques:bbq:

If your going to remove the turbo again, you can bolt it back on instead of using the studs. IMO the studs are a PITA when trying to line up the inlet, oil return line (which should be replaced) and the studs.

With bolts the up pipe hold the turbo while you line up the other two items.

The dealer gave me bolts that hols the up pipe bracket to the block, they work great.

Also use anti-seize compound on all nuts and bolts.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4783.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The last time I was on here I stated that my second Turbo went out on me. I really appreciate all the input I received. I was finally able to get around to working on it and I was blown away with my findings. When I pulled it off the nut on the turbine shaft was missing and I found it in my wait inlet tube. This was a factory ready to bolt on Turbo luckily for me no damage was done and the company made it good by sending a new one. I have a new issue my air inlet tube is shot I was able to nurse it to resuse the second time aroundbut now it has a tear about 2" long. If anyone now's where I can find a stock tube please let me know my Turbo will be here Wednesday. :icon_ques:bbq:

If you're not in a big rush for an inlet tube you can check around. I bought a stock one from a 2013 Wrx with 2000 miles on it. It cost me $40 shipped to my door.

I'll sell you my Perrin silicone one cheap. I'll be home next Wednesday though so you'll have to wait till then if you want it. You need any help etc on the lgt? I'm in Harrisonburg about 30 or so minutes away

• Moderators
I'll sell you my Perrin silicone one cheap. I'll be home next Wednesday though so you'll have to wait till then if you want it. You need any help etc on the lgt? I'm in Harrisonburg about 30 or so minutes away

Dibs if OP doesnt take you up on this^^^

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Lol don't wanna sell it just helping the OP out since I don't have a stock one laying around (and if he can't find one)

Btw red one for sale for $40 on forum here under cheap garage cleanout or something of that sort

• Moderators
Lol don't wanna sell it just helping the OP out since I don't have a stock one laying around (and if he can't find one)

Btw red one for sale for $40 on forum here under cheap garage cleanout or something of that sort

Yeah, saw that one--*might* have a pinhole leak and the seller has seemed generally useless, lol. No worries, I'm in no rush to grab one really.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived