LegacyGT.com

AWD saved me yesterday

so the g/f and i are driving on i-83 heading to hershey for the kenny chesney concert yesterday afternoon.

i've got the cruise control set at 75. all of a sudden, i'm feeling a heavy vibration, the car starts slowing down and i'm getting a burning smell. i immediately began to think that the engine was misfiring. as i did that, i happened to look in the rearview mirror and see a bunch of smoke coming from the back of my car and then i see a tire fly off the car :eek:

so i pull over to the shoulder and all that's left is a little bit of sidewall on the inner and outer rims of the wheel. miraculously, the wheel itself was undamaged. the road was smooth, i didn't see anything on the road that could've punctured the tire, nor did i hear any popping noises like something had punctured it. it seems to me that the tire just failed. thankfully, as we all know, i had 3 other wheels/tires so i had no loss of control of the car :)

i want to buy new tires (i still have the re-92s), but the tread depth on the other 3 tires is 7/32nds and i don't have the money right now to replace all four :(

anyway, that's my story. i'll see if i can get a pic up for you guys.

http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/1874/1013085555789072159_rs.jpg

http://aycu31.webshots.com/image/1950/1655043797492947225_th.jpg

http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/371/1380910991654997199_th.jpg

RE92's kill bunnies

that's a bad enough failure you might be able to get them replaced under tire warranty....maybe

cept that kind of failure is usually associated with under inflation...and if it was underinflated, they won't honor the warranty

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Wow, I am glad that the rim is still good, but you still need to get it checked out when you buy the new tire.

I say search the classifieds here and buy a used RE92 for the mean time until you get the money for new ones.

X

---

i've got the cruise control set at 75. all of a sudden, i'm feeling a heavy vibration, the car starts slowing down and i'm getting a burning smell. i immediately began to think that the engine was misfiring.

i would pull over immediately instead of trying to guess what the problem may be.

This Space For Rent

wow, glad you were ok. Makes tire monitor a great option that Subaru hopefully offers next time around. It could have warned about a tire getting ready to give up. I suspected the re92 was not a great tire. I am going to change mine out when I can afford better tires for my LGT. Good luck to you, and drive and be safe.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

that's the same tire failure type that firestone was having with all the Explorers

Yep... that is the failure mode for tires... when you run them way underinflated. It causes the sidewalls to flex too much... they get really hot and then separate....

Check your tire pressures regularly, guys.....

so glad you guys are alright, that musta been scarry...you will feel better driving the car now that you got some non-RE92's, and you can always sell the rest of the RE's (someone is always looking for a spare)...good call on getting some new tires and keep us posted on how you like them (I check my tire pressure regularly like every 1-2 weeks :D)...
In Taiwan now...:spin:

as of a week ago, 35psi. i know it doesn't jive with the underinflation point, but who knows. maybe it just failed :(

anyhow, i just bought a set of kumho ecsta asx

thats not making me feel good about these tires now. since interstate speeds here are a good 80 mph average.

I love my car ... basically.

Yikes! Glad you're OK, bro! :)

Although no doubt, you're contributing to the overall RE-92 bashing! :lol:

^Trying to lighten things up - truly, I'm just glad that you're OK, whether or not the RE-92s are to-blame regardless! ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived