LegacyGT.com

Makeshift MAF on a makeshift Air Intake

So I got bored and decided to hook up an aftermarket Air intake system. Long story short, the MAF wouldn't work as is, so I broke the components out of the plastic shell and put that in a generic adapter. I have a CEL now, but that's because

A) I unplugged the MAF for a bit and it triggered.

B) I hadn't finished sealing the sensor

I reconnected everything and did most of the sealing, but the CEL stayed on. When I used an OBD 2 reader to clear it, it cleared, but when I would start the car, The idle would quickly range from 100 RPM to around 1500. It would just keep fluctuating.

Any Ideas what is happening?

• I Donated

You made several mistakes

1 - you broke your mass air flow sensor (never a good thing)

2 - you're using an "aftermarket" intake (known to be problematic on these cars)

3 - you tried ghetto rigging your MAF to work and its likely leaking.

You need to buy a new mass air flow sensor and go back to the stock intake.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Its ok dude... I made the same dumb mistake. Pry gonna do a "how to undo your ghetto rigged snorkus delete" thread here soon when I get money for the tubing and a new filter. You couldn't have done worse than me tho. After I messed mine up royally I fixed mine with duck tape:/ lolololokok

Its ok man.. you're not alone in this world.. I royally F*CKED mine up too. You could have done worse then me tho... after I realized I ruined mine I used duct tape to fix it back up and get it running right lol. Works great... looks. Not so great. But here soon I will probably be doing a "how to fix your ghetto ass snorkus delete" thread. I just need to get some tubing and a new air filter and I think I have a few ideas to make it work and look pretty good!

• 3 weeks later...
I am using a fabricated 3" intake on a '96 single port w. MS3 header. Good results, the intake hooks right up to the stock MAF/air cleaner/snorkus setup. No fast idle on start-up, and I get the CEL, but idles cleanly at 700rpm, passes smog, and really comes alive at about 2900rpm. - That fairly big 6x9 stock air cleaner flows more air than I'll ever need.

Archived