LegacyGT.com

Opinions on my wish list?

My plan for my spring detail is this:

Dawn with wool wash mitt to strip old product

Dry with waffle weave microfiber (Brand recommendations?)

Clay with Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing clay & Sonus Glyde lube

Light swirl removal with Poorboy's SR1 (White pad on UDM?)

Klasse AIO (LC red pad on UDM or by hand?)

Klasse Sealant Glaze (LC red pad on UDM or by hand?)

Poorboy's Natty's Blue Paste Wax (Maybe S100 instead?)

My car is DGM and the paint is in pretty good shape with the exception of some stone chips on the front and some minor swirls.

I've been using NXT Tech Wax since I got the car and it's ok but I'm looking for something better, deeper and more durable. I don't think the NXT lasts that long.

Please let me know if this sounds good or there's anything you'd swap out.

I think I'd use a different sealant, but otherwise that looks good. Wolfgang or Danase will probably look better on DGM. Either that or top with a good wax, but I'd just use a different sealant. Apply sealants with your UDM.

I prefer the look of a carnuba on DGM. I thought wolfgang muted the flake a little. The wolfgang looks good, but I just prefer the deeper look of the carnuba.

Personally, I usually don't dry the car if I'm going to be claying. I'll just pull it into the garage then start claying with quick detailer and the water on the car.

The latest towels I have tried are cobra and I have been really happy with them so far. I haven't tried their waffle weave, but I have a few other towels and they are all nice and plush.

Thanks for the advice so far... I'll take a look at the Wolfgang or Danase sealers instead of the Klasse.

I've read that the Poorboy's Natty's Blue Paste wax looks good on darker cars... Has anyone here tried that?

If not what do you all think of S100? (Any other reasonably priced alternatives?)

Nice name smushybrain. Reminds me of my friend Adam's screen name: squishyface.

Thanks!

Anyway, I'm going to shop around at danase.com tomorrow and see what I can find. I was thinking about ordering stuff through amazon.com because I have a gift card from there that I really don't know what to do with... but depending on Danase's prices and the 10% discount he's offering I might rethink that.

Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Dawn with wool wash mitt to strip old product - Good idea!

Dry with waffle weave microfiber (Brand recommendations?) - Just make sure you use a quality one that won't scratch and not something from WalMart.

Clay with Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing clay & Sonus Glyde lube - Sounds good.

Light swirl removal with Poorboy's SR1 (White pad on UDM?) - You might have to step up to number 2 or another polish. I'd use a 5" - 6.5" white Lake Country pad and the highest speed.

Klasse AIO (LC red pad on UDM or by hand?) - I prefer to apply by machine and a low speed because it goes on thinner and more evenly.

Klasse Sealant Glaze (LC red pad on UDM or by hand?) - Same as above.

Poorboy's Natty's Blue Paste Wax (Maybe S100 instead?) - I'd go with different carnauba.

I've been using NXT Tech Wax since I got the car and it's ok but I'm looking for something better, deeper and more durable. I don't think the NXT lasts that long. - It doesn't last long at all. You're wise to use something different in my opinion.

I could swap all of those products out for you but if you already have them you should be good to go. If you wanted to deal with us I could redo all of it for you and will guarantee you'll love the results.

Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

{snip}

I could swap all of those products out for you but if you already have them you should be good to go. If you wanted to deal with us I could redo all of it for you and will guarantee you'll love the results.

Actually, I haven't purchased a thing as far as products go yet. The only things I currently have are the UDM with the assortment of pads it came with: http://www.ultimatedetailingmachine.com/ultimate-detailing-machine-das-car-polisher-kit-na.html

I'm pretty open to suggestions that look good, are durable and aren't unreasonably expensive.

Here's what I'd do, using our line of products.

Danase Waffle Weave or Water Devourer for Drying.

Danase Fine Clay with Turbo Shine as a lube.

Danase Swirl Abolishers for polishing.

Danase Wet Glaze for that deep wet look.

Danase Paint Sealant for protection (currently backordered for a week).

SSR1 on a white pad definitely will not do a thing for dgm (even with very minor swirling). At a minimum you will need SSR2. Since you haven't purchased it yet, I would highly recommend optimum polish over any poorboys offering.

Dawn will help to strip your old product, but it will also dry out and discolor your plastics. If you are claying and polishing, your old sealant will come off just fine.

Wolfgangs looks nice on DGM, but lacks depth and a brilliant shine. I did 2 coats of wolfgangs and followed it up with pinnicale xmt carnauba. Then later added some opti-seal to the mix. Definitely has a nice shine now, although I still wish it had more depth.

Any 80/20 WW is fine. When drying the car blot dry, don't wipe. Wiping can leave swirls and doesn't hold as much water. I can completely dry two full cars with a single WW.

• 3 weeks later...

I just put in my order at danase.com!

I picked up Danase brand: Foam Pad Cleaner, Waffle Weave Drying Towel, Swirl Abolisher I & II plus the Wet Look Kit (Wet Glaze & Paint Sealant). I also picked up some 303 Protectant.

I'm going to go with the Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing clay & Sonus Glyde lube and I might pick up some sort of caranuba to top everything with... I don't know...

My order arrived today. I hope the weather is nice this weekend. I can't wait to try everything out.

I ended up picking up a Meguiar's clay kit at Auto Zone yesterday instead of ordering the Sonus.

I'm still not sure about what caranuba to use, if any...

(Thanks Danase!)

My order arrived today. I hope the weather is nice this weekend. I can't wait to try everything out.

I ended up picking up a Meguiar's clay kit at Auto Zone yesterday instead of ordering the Sonus.

I'm still not sure about what caranuba to use, if any...

(Thanks Danase!)

Some people don't like the meg's clay cause of its elasticity, but it is the only clay I have used and I have been happy with it. It cleans well and I have never noticed any marring from using it. Anytime you clay though, you will want to use a polish or all-in-one afterwards. So even if there was any slight marring from the clay, it shouldn't be a problem, but why make your work harder.

I hope you like your stuff, lets see some pics when its all finished.

Some people don't like the meg's clay cause of its elasticity, but it is the only clay I have used and I have been happy with it. It cleans well and I have never noticed any marring from using it. Anytime you clay though, you will want to use a polish or all-in-one afterwards. So even if there was any slight marring from the clay, it shouldn't be a problem, but why make your work harder.

I hope you like your stuff, lets see some pics when its all finished.

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on washing (with car wash, not Dawn), claying and then trying the Swirl Abolisher I. I gave my car a quick hose down yesterday and it's not looking quite as bad as I thought it was... If that doesn't correct enough I'm going to try the Swirl Abolisher II.

I'm planning on taking some before/after pics...

• 4 weeks later...

I used some of my new stuff yesterday. I didn't get a chance to take pictures because I was in a hurry but I will say I'm impressed so far.

I used the Meguiar's clay, Danase Swirl Abolisher I and two coats of Danase Paint Sealant.

My first attempt at claying went pretty well. I was shocked to see how much stuff was pulled from a "visibly clean" car.

I could have probably stepped up to the Swirl Abolisher II to get rid of some of the more harsh swirls and faint scratches. I'll probably do that next time when I have more time to mess around.

I was VERY happy that the Paint Sealant seemed to correct one spot where a bird dropping faintly etched the clearcoat on my spoiler. After two coats of the Sealant I couldn't see it anymore.

I would take pictures today but after one night my car is coated in pollen again. Oh well.

You guys are recommending Wolfgang sealant? I've tried the stuff two or three times now and I hate it. After two weeks it is completely gone. Is it possible I'm doing it wrong? I clean, dry, polish, then seal.

^^If your car is parked outside or driven a lot thats pretty normal for Wolfgang (original formula) in my experience. Maybe Wolfgang 2.0 has improved this but I don't know. Go with Danase paint sealant and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much more durable it is. If you want to finish off your bottle of wolfgang them put something underneath it to help the durability like Klasse all in One, or something on top like Duragloss Aquawax sealant.

Archived