LegacyGT.com

noisy second gear

time4turbo

Alright... so I just bought an 07 lgt with 21k miles on it and a 5spd trans. The only thing that concerns me about the car is some weird noises I hear while in second gear. The gear whines louder than the others... like a quiet dogbox or something. Also when I'm just coasting in second it sound like a grinding nose is coming from the transmission. I dont hear the grinding while im on the throttle, it's only when I let off. The grinding isnt super loud or clunky... just a smooth rubbing/grinding noise. Again, only happens in second. Any thoughts or similar situations? Might also be helpful to add that the noise leaves when I depress the clutch pedal.

Mine has a louder gearbox than I would have expected, so it may be nothing to worry about. However people who abuse cars tend to damage second gear first, so it might be a chipped gear. A good place to start would be to change the gear oil and see if anything comes out.

While I can't speak for the 5MT, I can say the 6MT is rather noisy also. I noticed the same noises with my factory 6MT. Now that I have gone the aftermarket route with parts, I hear the same noises amplified. I have also read about some 5MT owners saying the same thing with their OEM trans.

Archived