LegacyGT.com

Struts/Shocks, KYB has a captured market for the USDM MY05> Outback production

Within days of taking delivery of the MY05 Outback XT, the quest was started to source a higher quality strut /shock. Within months many of us tried coilovers only to swiftly remove them as coilovers didn't match our useage. (coilovers are great for a 911,,, only back in 2005 it was thought a better mouse trap for the Outback application was bound to come along- IMHO)

So for the next four years the Subaru OE was the only game in town and we know how this doesn't work. Again, nothing in the aftermarket pipeline for the entire production run period of 5 years…. Only now in the 1st quarter of 2009 does the OEM (KYB) offer a product outside of the Subaru distribution. WTF …. ? Where there was once one source, theres now two for the same old KYB solution. EDIT: Ooops. Seems Monroe has an OE style Outback application.

Now,,,,today with all of these aging Outback’s many whom were once captured by the lack of an alternative, warranty, etc., and the simple fact there is a High Quality void in the market ………. Why isn’t Bilstein USA taking the bait? something along the lines of a traditional HD strut / shock product offering? Or couldn’t KYB tweak the crap already in production? Something other than the under dampened KYB… Go figure.

I'd be more than willing to donate my OEM parts to Bilstein USA ... if it were that simple. Something is getting in the way at Bilstein USA and it ain't the production number objection storyline. C'mon Bilstein USA come clean........ My .02

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Why not bring it up with Fread Beans? They've put together a Bilstein package with the proper tophats for Legacies (http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-987/Bilstein-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail) maybe they can package the JDM Bilsteins for OB's.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

OhBe1, That's a great idea ...... either Fread Bean's or a ole style group purchase assisted by a XYZ Japan based entity and Bilstein Japan. A one shot import, say a quanity of what ever ~ 25 or so, I dunno.... gathered from this forum and the other's such as subaruoutback.org, etc., Make it a co-op buy . .

Just an idea . . .

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Heck, given the BTS set includes springs, so they could even assemble them (having spent some of the weekend with the Sticks Of Death)...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Man,,,, I laughed when hearing the "Sticks of Death". So true!

I can see the admitting ER episode now.... "Me got's hit with a Coil Spring"... Actually I don't think anyone would be talking much after being hit by a coil spring....

Cheers, Mike

Archived