LegacyGT.com

Tuning Recommendation Please....

tocinoman25

Greetings everyone...I have been on these forums for a couple years now...my gold warranty in nearing to the end and this Spring I will be ready to install parts that I have been collecting. My current list for power mods are:

Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS

Invidia Catless DP

Grimmspeed UP

(and debating on Invidia Q300 exhaust)

Venair TB and MAF hoses

Trans and motor mounts

and some suspension bits and exterior goodies as well

Wanting to track it and take to the drag strip at least once

My question is would I benefit spending my money on Cobb AP or a Protune? (by a reputable shop here in Chicago)

I will be on 93 octane

In the next year or 2, I may plan on BNR 18G upgrade with TMIC and Injectors at most...nothing more...but then again...i was going to keep my 08 LGT stock and the mod bug bit me good!

Open to all your suggestions! Thanks!

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Go protune (with your choice of AP or OS). You'll get the most out of your mods and it will be customized to how your car runs.

Also - get rid of the Venair post MAF hose (not sure about the TB one). I had one and it caused over a month of grief since it would suck closed under WOT at Stage 2 boost levels and hang at about 5K RPM (from full boost to full vac in the IM). Thank me later.

If you are not planning on changing back and forth between fuels (E85), and have no use for some of the features from Cobb (speed density, launch control, flat foot shift, live tuning), then go OS. If you are decent with a computer and have a laptop, OS would be just fine. If you do end up wanting FFS and LC, then you can always purchase a patch from here: http://www.ecu-mods.com/online/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS

Invidia Catless DP

Grimmspeed UP

(and debating on Invidia Q300 exhaust)

At stg2 you won't gain anything from the 3-port or the CBE, and you most likely won't notice anything from the up-pipe either, vs. the stock item. Put the money you save from those parts into a catted DP. You won't notice any difference in power produced and it's nicer to the environment.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I think he already owns the parts.

I disagree on EBCS; I think it is a good bang for the buck, especially considering the price (~$100). I felt much better boost response after adding the Grimmspeed EBCS to my old VF43 setup (stage 2) setup.

Depends on the tuner. Small turbo, you can get the same response with the bleed system if you know how. Oh, and non-bling boost controllers can be had for a lot less than $100.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Well, it will take more time to get the same results with the bleed system, that's for sure. Can also be you had a particularly weak actuator on that turbo.

I'm from Chicago too :) I thought about going with a couple of local tuners, but after seeing all of the positive reviews I went with Shamar's Infamous1 e-tune (includes up to 6 revisions). I'm really glad I went with him. The car is much more responsive, smoother, with the power coming on much better. In part throttle, full throttle, or out of boost, the car always feels nice and smooth. I really can't compliment the tune enough, I'm beyond happy and love it! I choose to purchase a used Cobb AP to use for flashing and data logs.

My mods are a BNR 16g, PW TMIC, STi UP, DP, CBE, stock fueling. I just ordered the Grimmspeed 3-port ebcs too so I'll have that accounted for with the next revision.

I'm from Chicago too :) I thought about going with a couple of local tuners, but after seeing all of the positive reviews I went with Shamar's Infamous1 e-tune (includes up to 6 revisions). I'm really glad I went with him. The car is much more responsive, smoother, with the power coming on much better. In part throttle, full throttle, or out of boost, the car always feels nice and smooth. I really can't compliment the tune enough, I'm beyond happy and love it! I choose to purchase a used Cobb AP to use for flashing and data logs.

My mods are a BNR 16g, PW TMIC, STi UP, DP, CBE, stock fueling. I just ordered the Grimmspeed 3-port ebcs too so I'll have that accounted for with the next revision.

This. Infamous, if no local protune.

Imfamous. Really.

Nice! I will be tuning with STI Mikey from Phatbotti...he is flying in to tune MWSOC/Chitown Subies in April and set to go! woot woot!!

I will be getting and opensource tune, thought about Cobb AP so many times but Opensource for sure now! I am locked in for the date he comes...

Mods will be

DW 750cc

Dw 65c pump

Invidia Catless DP

Grimmspeed UP

AEM Uego Gauge

Defi Boost Gauge

Group N Motor and Trans Mounts

Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS

Sways and Springs from Infamous GB

Kartboy Endlinks

11 wrx oem wheels

Gonna get the most of my Stock Turbo then possibly upgrade later on with TMIC or FMIC and 18 or 20G...

Should I even bother with an intake at all with these mods? I was looking at Cobb air intake since its 10% off on Infamous site or use my K and N panel drop in filter good enough?

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

You don't need to do anything with the intake until you're past 350whp. The stock filter is very effective and the MAF is very easy to scale in the stock housing.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting ready to go stage 2 and I think I am going with Infamous. I have heard nothing but good things. This is what I am picking up:

CNT catless DP

CNT catless UP

Thinking about an Intake, but I hear mixed opinions on whether its worth it or not. Thoughts?

I was advised against it by my tuner a drop In is fine but the stock setup from what I have heard is more than adequate in till you are stage 4 I think. Hopefully one of the tuners will respond

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Leave the stock intake alone and put a clean stock filter in.

• 2 months later...
Just wanted to add some info on this thread for anyone in the Chicago area needing a tune. After the disappointment with my e-tune (I know my previous post in this thread recommended that e-tune, but it didn't end up working out) I went to P&L Motorsport and had Junior tune my car. I am extremely happy with the results and the way the car drives. I got 301 whp and 307 wtq on a BNR 16g! If you're in that Chicago area, I would recommend to give a call to P&L and have Junior tune you. Here is my thread link with dyno graph and 2 logs after Junior's tune: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dyno-bnr-16g-tuned-junior-p-l-301whp-307wtq-210700.html?p=4498882

You don't need to do anything with the intake until you're past 350whp. The stock filter is very effective and the MAF is very easy to scale in the stock housing.

Ehhh, I'll disagree. Stock 05+LGT/08+ WRX/STI do have noticeable power gains from an intake. Even at stage 2 power levels.

Ehhh, I'll disagree. Stock 05+LGT/08+ WRX/STI do have noticeable power gains from an intake. Even at stage 2 power levels.

Dyno plots or it didn't happen.

Archived