LegacyGT.com

Massachusetts Exhaust Ban Bill back on the table

BigTDogg MA

http://blogs.gmhightechperformance.com/6757131/miscellaneous/massachusetts-exhaust-law/index.html

Please take a minute to write some (if not all) of the email addresses listed in the link. This bill is ridiculous and a waste of taxpayer money. Nevermind the stereotyping and profiling associated with it.

A sample letter is included below, if you just want to C&P:

(representative or senator's title and name here),

I'm writing you today to request your opposition to H.B. 952; the ban on aftermarket exhaust systems on motor vehicles.

H.B. 952 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

H.B. 952 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

Just because this time around it includes motorcycles doesn't make the bill right. It is still far too subjective, and hurts local businesses. What happens to muffler shops, auto parts dealers and MA based performance shops if this bill passes? What happens when the exhaust on the car rusts through in 5 years from the salty winter roads? Replacing with another OEM exhaust is cost prohibitive and foolish, knowing it will only fail again in another 5 years.

As a resident of MA for years now, I can definitely say that there are much bigger problems which need addressing in this state.

I sincerely thank you for reading this.

Best regards,

Here's my letter. Get on this, people!

I'm writing you today to request your opposition to H.B. 952; the ban on aftermarket exhaust systems on motor vehicles.

As an Army veteran recently returned to my home state of Massachusetts after a decade of combat in Iraq and Afghanistan, I find myself getting pulled over and harassed by Massachusetts police because of my exhaust system that I had run without incident in Georgia, South Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Connecticut and New York. My exhaust system, while slightly louder than the stock pipes, increases my vehicle's efficiency without increasing my vehicle's emissions and is impervious to road salt. It also allows me to run a mixture of high-ethanol biofuel which the University of Massachusetts has been a pioneer in developing into a commercially viable gasoline alternative. The increased sound is an inescapable byproduct of its USA-made stainless steel construction.

The way H.B. 952 is written, sound level is the only standard by which an exhaust system may be judged. While I agree there is no legitimate reason for a person to slap an obnoxiously loud muffler on the tailpipe of a rusted-out Honda Civic, there are many of us out there who view automobiles as something more than household appliances, and we work hard to innovate new ways to make them perform better with increased reliability and efficiency. Exhaust modifications are a critical component of this innovation, and an important source of income for many national manufacturers and Massachusetts-based automotive professionals.

I sincerely thank you for reading this.

Best regards,

Ben Brody

Those are very well written. I think it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO STOOPID for ma cops to worry about exhausts......Being from Texas and watching drivers here in ma, the police should be worried more about contolling traffic, getting speeders, red light runners, and so on. I witness everyday on my short commute to work at least four or five people breaking laws that endanger others on the road. Police should be worried about those people as opposed to those with modified exhausts (I'll even include those with the fart mufflers on old beater hondas). There is just too much going on that should be more important than exhaust (which I imagine could be fix-a-tickets, at least they were in Texas...or could easily be thrown out in court).

This has been passed already and has been in affect for years.. I was pulled over and given a warning last year.. The officer was nice enough to explain and even give me the law he was enforcing..

Massachusetts Law Chapter 90, Section 16. (No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated, in or over any way, public or private, whether laid out under authority of law or otherwise, which motor vehicles are prohibited from using, provided notice of such prohibition is conspicuously posted at the entrance to such way. No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated upon any way, except fire department and fire patrol apparatus, unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive or unnecessary noise, which muffler is in good working order and in constant operation, and complies with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust. No person operating a motor vehicle shall sound a bell, horn or other device, nor in any manner operate such motor vehicle so as to make a harsh, objectionable or unreasonable noise, nor permit to escape from such vehicle smoke or pollutants in such amounts or at such levels as may violate motor vehicle air pollution control regulations adopted under the provisions of chapter one hundred and eleven. No siren shall be mounted upon any motor vehicle except fire apparatus, ambulances, vehicles used in official line of duty by any member of the police or fire fighting forces of the commonwealth or any agency or political subdivision thereof, and vehicles owned by call fire fighters or by persons with police powers and operated in official line of duty, unless authorized by the registrar. No person shall use on or in connection with any motor vehicle a spot light, so called, the rays from which shine more than two feet above the road at a distance of thirty feet from the vehicle, except that such a spot light may be used for the purpose of reading signs, and as an auxiliary light in cases of necessity when the other lights required by law fail to operate.)

I believe the law I posted applies to motorcycles too.. It states motor vehicle which a motorcycle can be considered.. I have exhaust on my bike too, I dont think we have much to worry about unless they really decide to crack down on the law and I dont see them doing that anytime soon

Archived