LegacyGT.com

Final Stages of Engine Rebuild

Hey guys. I'm getting closer and closer to finally getting my engine put back in. It's been a long month without my Leggy. To catch you up to speed:

First, I thought I was going to have to get a new car.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103557

Then, I had the fortune of my best friends dad taking on the project of rebuilding the engine when he heard about all this.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104716

I've been driving around in my dads Civic Hybrid for 5 weeks. In one word: Embarrasing.

But here are some pictures of the engine as of yesterday. Still some work left to do, but we figure to finish this up within a week. As you can see he's sprayed the block with silver paint to keep down on corrosion. He's mounted everything on the intake manifold, put the case back together and measured the clearances, and I got the radiator hoses I was waiting for to come in. A million thanks goes out to Mr. Harris for putting in a lot of time and hard work just to see me car run again.

I'll be posting pics in here as soon as the engine is back in.

1.thumb.jpg.03a19cdb98ec80c42a65c40baae5cecf.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.28de10be7b639c62926dfce9aad2c61e.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.82da18cae2b03f47f00d73db7f3d95eb.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.a3bf0dfaaffc600a72228fbece9634fb.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.fe854810085c83a8e48147ceecf103a2.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.6dcbd0998a536ed19ed50d908f3372a6.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.5f2677521f26b17892efd845142ea361.jpg

Didn't read the entire other thread, but did you use aftermarket parts for the rebuild?

Good question, meant to include this. We've used some OEM and Aftermarket parts.

A list of the OEM parts we've ordered include:

-Oil Pump

-Water Pump

-Head Gasket Kit

-Valve Cover Gasket Set

-All new belts

-Thermostat

-PCV

-Elbow hose off the Water Pump

Labor included:

-Re-machining all the rods

-Polishing the crankshaft

-Removing all metal fragments/cleaning the heads

-Painting the entire engine silver to prevent corrosion

-Painting the intake manifold

Aftermarket parts being installed:

-Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley

-Perrin Short Throw Shift (I know its not part of the engine, but had to throw that in there)

-ACL Racing Main/Rod bearing set ($87 bucks compared to $230 OEM - a steal!)

-Exedy Stage 1 organic clutch (my stock one was on its way out)

-Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

-Silicone Radiator Hoses

-Optima Red Top Battery

I like the paint job on the intake. Looks sweet, and post up when she is done.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Good question, meant to include this. We've used some OEM and Aftermarket parts.

A list of the OEM parts we've ordered include:

-Oil Pump

-Water Pump

-Head Gasket Kit

-Valve Cover Gasket Set

-All new belts

-Thermostat

-PCV

-Elbow hose off the Water Pump

Labor included:

-Re-machining all the rods

-Polishing the crankshaft

-Removing all metal fragments/cleaning the heads

-Painting the entire engine silver to prevent corrosion

-Painting the intake manifold

Aftermarket parts being installed:

-ACL Racing Main/Rod bearing set ($87 bucks compared to $230 OEM - a steal!)

-Exedy Stage 1 organic clutch (my stock one was on its way out)

-Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

-Silicone Radiator Hoses

-Optima Red Top Battery

Although it goes without saying I suppose, you WILL be resurfacing and shot peening your newly machined/streightened/etc. rods, right? After all, any machining will essentially destroy the integrity of their original surface treatment and without reconditioning them fully they will be compromised. Just part of the fun stuff you do/get done while building a motor... to last.

http://books.google.com/books?id=k6-SsqR52zkC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=shot+peen+after+rod+machining&source=bl&ots=QAX4eDwElo&sig=bbIhsJqyZMCusGGzSYvnu8nvFxs&hl=en&ei=XeCiSfuXAY-ctwfLluSbDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PPA91,M1

I often referred to that book, even 35 years ago when I was building racing cars. To me it is the definitive resource.

"How to Hot Rod the Chevy Small-Block V-8 By Jim Richardson"

^^ you read wrong no turbo here just a str8t forward rebuild.

Hey Frost you should probably buy a new TOB if the exedy kit didnt come with one Im sure you are on top of that and I dont mean to sound brash or anything just making sure you dont have to go back into the trans or engine for a while

Although it goes without saying I suppose, you WILL be resurfacing and shot peening your newly machined/streightened/etc. rods, right? After all, any machining will essentially destroy the integrity of their original surface treatment and without reconditioning them fully they will be compromised. Just part of the fun stuff you do/get done while building a motor... to last.

http://books.google.com/books?id=k6-SsqR52zkC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=shot+peen+after+rod+machining&source=bl&ots=QAX4eDwElo&sig=bbIhsJqyZMCusGGzSYvnu8nvFxs&hl=en&ei=XeCiSfuXAY-ctwfLluSbDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PPA91,M1

I often referred to that book, even 35 years ago when I was building racing cars. To me it is the definitive resource.

"How to Hot Rod the Chevy Small-Block V-8 By Jim Richardson"

Hey dont scare him :rolleyes: But you are right :redface: well maybe he will catch your post and ask the rebuild guy but IM sure the rebuild guy knows that you may compromise structural integrity buy surfacing the Rods but maybe he didnt surface them via media blaster maybe he honned them and polished them

Yeah I'm pretty sure my builder has this under control :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Any day now, I should be able to turn the key and drive this thing off! I can't wait. It's been a very slow and painstaking process. As you can see in these new pics I got yesterday, the motor is in there and just about everything is connected. I'm really happy with how the intake manifold looks, and how it goes along with the rest of the engine bay really nice. I won't be reluctant to pop the hood anymore that's for sure.

Had to take one picture from the side though. I almost forgot how my Legacy looked haha.

1862149961_enginebay1.jpg.151952b7376d0ed229ad6969fd61ecf4.jpg

807476251_enginebay2.jpg.b43dc01f625f1a97984b2d2edd9060b1.jpg

1828824840_Enginebay3.jpg.010630afb422fc7fb1c618c662872c6a.jpg

1092569557_fromtheside.jpg.8852d1508b7893d722dd624ea2f43056.jpg

Any day now, I should be able to turn the key and drive this thing off! I can't wait. It's been a very slow and painstaking process. As you can see in these new pics I got yesterday, the motor is in there and just about everything is connected. I'm really happy with how the intake manifold looks, and how it goes along with the rest of the engine bay really nice. I won't be reluctant to pop the hood anymore that's for sure.

Had to take one picture from the side though. I almost forgot how my Legacy looked haha.

Now that your car is back together can you make a video ( a better one than that crappy one you sent :lol:) of the car ?? Maybe a exhaust clip and in car clip during a pull ? After you break in the clutch of course :confused::rolleyes::) Glad to see its back up and running

Archived