LegacyGT.com

inner tie rod or rack and pinion?

So I drive my legacy everyday about 100 miles. This weekend, we had a shitstorm, crazy amounts of snow. Of course, I drove all over in it. I had a lot of fun. I didn't think I did anything too crazy, I didn't rally the shit out of it, just slid around all over.

I get in my car today and head to work, my 50 mile trip. Once I get on the highway and hit 50mph I got a crazy shake. Like, extremely warped rotors type shake except the steering wheel is not moving back and forth at all. I thought maybe snow packed in my rear wheels. I got out and cleaned them out. Still shaking. So I turned around and took it to les schwab.

They did a suspension inspection just now and said oh your inner tie rods are loose but more than that you're rack and pinion is toast and you need a new one. It's going to be $750 parts and labor.

What the f*ck!? I'd rather do it myself but I don't have the time right now! Does this all sound legit?

Check your front tires for snow pack, and your driveshaft. I highly doubt that inner tie rods or a rack and pinion would cause a vibration that isn't felt in the steering wheel. I've replaced some tie rods on customers cars that were so bad they were borderline separating and not once did they complain about a vibration.

If the tie rods are loose I would get that taken care of, as for the rack im assuming it is just leaking fluid?

I would think so too. What it feels like is snow pack, crazy unbalanced at 50mph+. I took it in mainly because I had a wheel bearing scare a long while ago, I'd prefer not to lose a wheel. I just don't know about this replacing the rack and pinion. It's never shook before.

I would assume so. I think I'm going to try and get it up off the ground and look for myself.

Anyone have any experience with a blown rack and pinion causing a crazy shake not felt in the steering wheel? Honestly, it feels like there are a bunch of waves in the road about a foot and a half apart, more shaking up and down, nothing left and right.

It was totally snow pack on the driveshaft. I went and picked it up, drove it across the street to a hand car wash, pressure washed underneath and bam shaking gone. The rack and pinion....is toast. The passenger side boot on the inner tie rod is torn to pieces and the tie rod kinda wiggles in and out....I'm assuming this is dangerous.

the boots / bellows on the rack are pretty easy to replace.

although you have to do it carefully if you do not want to buy an alignment.

the racks rarely fail.

so unless you have been driving for several years with torn boots, the rack is probably still good.

the inner tie rods can go bad though,

and they can be replaced.

or you can buy a used rack for about $50, add new boots, $20 and install that.

then have it aligned.

used car parts

www.car-part.com

but i would replace the torn bellows and drive it.

the boots / bellows on the rack are pretty easy to replace.

the racks rarely fail.

so unless you have been driving for several years with torn boots, the rack is probably still good.

the inner tie rods can go bad though,

and they can be replaced.

or you can buy a used rack for about $50, add new boots, $20 and install that.

then have it aligned.

but i would replace the torn bellows and drive it.

This /\ /\

Archived