LegacyGT.com

Outback XT v Forester XT?

I've been driving a 2005 Legacy GT Ltd 5M since early summer 2004 as our only car, really like it, but for various reasons we now need something with more cargo room (as well as something we'll feel less bad allowing a wet Labrador retrieve to jump in). Would appreciate comments regarding the Outback XT v. Forester XT, both 5M. I'd like as much performance as I can get, initially w/o mods though maybe some un-drastic ones later. Is the 20hp difference significant? Normally I'd think it would be, except that I've been hearing/reading so much about the surprisingly strong performance of the Forester. What do you all think?

I looked at both but I went with the OBXT in 5EAT. I have a 110 pound choc lab. He does OK in the back plus I have the rubber mats. He does even better with the rear seats down.

I liked the OBXT better styling wise but the FXT is quick. I dont remember the times but the FXT is a tad bit faster 0-60 but from there the OBXT pulls away up to 120.

The ground clearance of the XT is great. Many miles this winter were driven on washboard roads around Southpark Co in deep snow. Hwy performance is OK but a little swishy at speed. That's the price you pay for the off road performance.

We have an OBXT Ltd (auto) and recently rented a base Forester for a week while in Kauai. When I bought the OBXT, I briefly looked at the Forester, but didn't get past the cheapness of the front compartment (compared to the OB), so never compared cargo space.

With the rental, we spent a week loading our kid's stroller and misc stuff in the back with the kid in his carrier in the rear seat. The Forester's usable space felt noticably smaller than the OB's. The depth of the hatch area seemed smaller while the vertical space didn't seem any larger than the OB's (we previously had a '99 CR-V, and was expecting comparable space, but it just didn't seem like it was there).

All of my impressions of the Forester were "seems" and "feels". A tape measure won't lie, and I'd defer to anyone who actually measured it. Overall I enjoyed the Forester, and for sure liked the lack of turbo lag on the base engine (though it ran out of steam pretty quickly) and the firmer suspension. The OB is certainly more refined, and now that I've actually driven a Forester for awhile, have no regrets on getting the OB.

Guest *Jedimaster*

What mweiner said.

I also looked at the Forester XT and am glad I waited to see the new Outback XT. Nicer looking, more comfortable and no matter what people say, I think the Outback is quicker than the Forester. I drove one and it really didn't impress me- I did have a Stage 2 WRX wagon at the time though.

The legacy chassis is also stiffer than the impreza chassis, allowing for less body flex.

Outback XT weighs in at 3415/3480. Forester weighs in at 3,225.

Outback has a VF40 turbo, while the Forester is stuck with the anemic WRX TD04.

Drove the Forester, definately fun, but the outback xt is just so much more car for a similar price.

I traded my 04 FXT (with 70k driven in 2.5 years) on an 05 OBXT (which has 8k on it now) in January - drive both for sure, they are very different.

The FXT was a lot quicker off the line in 04/05 with the shorter gearing those MY's had but might not be much now, but it's definitely far noisier on the road - the OBXT is a lot more refined. If what you carry is tall, the FXT works better - for what I typically haul the OBXT has more useable space.

The OBXT fits my needs a lot better, I drive about 30k a year & it's nicer to spend highway time in.

The Forester is a much shorter car and more manuverable in tight situations like parking lots. I would say the Forester has definite benefits in an urban setting and the OBXT is more of a boulevard/highway cruiser. Shorter gearing in the Forester makes it feel quicker. Keep in mind the Forester is on a chassis that's coming to the end of its life cycle and the Outback's design is at least 5 years newer. I think the OBXT is more car for the money.

I drove the fxt before buying the obxt. IMHO the fxt felt "trucky". If course I absolutely LOATH trucks, you may not find it so bad.

I wanted to like the FXT, I really did. I just couldn't.

Archived