LegacyGT.com

Ok, engines out, do you replace the oil pump/TC shaft input seal or not?

Trying to decide if its worth it. Lots of threads with people having nothing but problems with the TC coming off the oil pump shaft, and clip issues, and alignment issues. Lots of threads with people having no problems.

The OCD in me wants to change the seal while I can get to it.:spin: I'm probably going to anyways, but I'm wondering what the general opinion is out there.

TC
???????

what's leaking?

what car, engine, trans, miles, color??????????

i have never had a problem with the crank seal.

if you plan on keeping the car a long time,

i would do everything.

i hate having to go things over.

if money is tight and you plan on getting rid of it ,

don't bother.

don't forget the o-ring for the oil pump

and to check the screws on the back side of the pump.

they can loosen up over time,

some years are worse than others.

and check for the leak on the rear of the block.

there is a plastic cover that can leak, badly.

at a glance you might thing it is the rear main seal,

but it is not.

the replacement cover is metal,

get the screws that go with it.

I think hes talking about torque converter. I personally wouldnt unless your having a leak problem. Once that shaft is out, its kinda tricky installiing it back correctly. I removed a auto trans from picknpull with the torque converter. I removed the torque converter to put it aside and the shaft came out with it, i have yet to figure out how to put it back correctly

Sorry johnegg, got lazy with typing the title, r3v is correct, I'm asking about the torque converter seal on the transmission. I've seen TQ used as the the abbreviation for the torque converter, but I went with TC instead.

I really want to change it, it's got 180,000 miles on it. I do have some trans fluid under the car, hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. That seal seems likely to be leaking after 180,000 miles and 14 years. Like I said in my OP, the engine is already out, and I'm probably going to it, I'm just wondering what others experiences have been with replacing or not replacing that seal.

Oh, it's a 2.5 Automatic, Black.

sorry , i completely missed that you were talking trans.

i would leave the seal alone.

if you accidentally pulled the TC and shaft out of the trans during engine rem,oval, then maybe.

i do not believe the problem is common enough to warrant replacement.

on the other hand, installing a used trans that some low wage hack pulled from a wreck at a salvage yard,

well why not replace it.

no telling what they did when they pulled it.

Archived