LegacyGT.com

WD40, PB Blaster, or other?

Aero Kroil.

'Nuff said.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Depends on the job, right? I use PB for breaking up rust (occasionally use liquid wrench if I'm in a pinch), and WD40 for cleaning/lubricating/displacing water.

I will have to check out the Aero Kroil... never heard of it.

No one has. It's an aerospace creation. I found my first can at a vacuum cleaner repair shop. They required I pay cash, because it's illegal to sell or something like that. Probably not true, or maybe you need some kind of special license, but I paid cash and used the same extra-large can for years.

Kroil and the Irwin Bolt-extractor set are the two most useful tools in my toolbox. Right up there with Gorilla tape.

WD40 sucks for loosening bolts, but it does work halfway decently for cleaning. It's not a lubricant, though, so don't think it's sufficient to lubricate anything of any importance. WD40 on a bicycle, for example, is a great way to fast-track yourself to spending a ton of money on repairs and replacement parts. For a spray-lubricant, Tri-Flow is the only stuff I've used with any regularity.

I use PB's White Lithium spray, though, for when I need an actual light-duty grease (like lubricating the springs on the garage door, for example).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

WD-40 I use after I've cleaned up battery terminals when I want them to have a good connection and want to clean the crud off them. Has a number of other uses for me as well.

PB Blaster is great for things that are stuck due to rust or corrosion. You need to give it 10 minutes on something really well rusted/corroded.

If I need something lubricated, I use an oil or grease.

50/50 ATF and Acetone (yes automatic trans fluid) beat all comers in a test using rusty bolts and a torque wrench to see at what torque they broke free.

The ATF does all the work; the acetone is to make it thin enough to get inside.

I've soaked rusty steel carburetors in them and pretty much everything came apart.

Steve

50/50 ATF and Acetone (yes automatic trans fluid) beat all comers in a test using rusty bolts and a torque wrench to see at what torque they broke free.

The ATF does all the work; the acetone is to make it thin enough to get inside.

I've soaked rusty steel carburetors in them and pretty much everything came apart.

Steve

Good idea!

Whatever you do, never mix acetone in a plastic or styrofoam cup. HDPE is OK, but a metal can is better.

Archived