LegacyGT.com

Cobb vs Kartboy STS

oword57

I am about to buy a new short throw shifter this week. Although, the window sticker on my 08 LGT says 'Short Throw Shifter ......... $374,' its not a very comfortable shift. I am looking at the Cobb STS with bushings, and kartboy STS package from turninconcepts. What are the pros and cons from people that own theses shifters?

Thanks!

Can't comment on the Cobb shifter.

I am running the Kartboy STS with the hardened bushings. The improvement was dramatic. Shifting shorter and much more crisp. Also a little more notchy but not in a bad way in my opinion.

Good luck.

Agree with fonts on the Kartboy.

I also got the full package from turninconcepts with F&R stay bushings. The package also includes special sleeve bushings for the pivot joint at the shifter and linkage joint underneath that you can't get anywhere else. You can always purchase the bushings from turninconcepts and cobb STS and use them together.

The Kartboy has a fixed height and throw where as the cobb is adjustable. Biggest difference I have seen is that the cobb can be made to be very short in height, shorter then the kartboy which may be a preference for you.

I just bought the kartboy package from TIC. The main reason i went with that package is due to the lack of complaints of the kartboy sts. If you look up cobb sts you will notice several people have had issues with it being either very notchy or problems with the movement.

However the cobb if installed properly does give you the benefit of being adjustable. I would definitely buy the cobb used though.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

TiC also has a nice selection of shift knobs.

After I went with the sts I found the stock shift knob .... off. I think that the smaller stock knob with the different angles from the sts a little uncomfortable. Got an incredible copolymer LatheWerks sphere shift knob that is absolutely incredible.

Just my experience.

OEM STS is better than Cobb or Kartboy.

Just get a knob like Momo Air Leather that can go deeper on the rod. Stock knob sucks plus it's long like a mofo.

thanks guys. ill probably order the kartboy this evening!

But does anyone know which shifter is installed in my car? It doesn't seem very short. It does say Short Throw Shifter for $374 on the original invoice. Will the Kartboy STS make a big difference compared to what is already installed?

I have the Kartboy, its sharper and crisper, its less for the point A to point B person and more for the one that wants to feel more connected with their car. IMHO, it also makes shifting a touch harder because it shifts before the revs come down enough to rev match the next gear.
^ n00bs below this line

But does anyone know which shifter is installed in my car? It doesn't seem very short. It does say Short Throw Shifter for $374 on the original invoice. Will the Kartboy STS make a big difference compared to what is already installed?

Double check with the dealer as to what is installed in there now.

If you are running an STi sts there really might not be much difference in the actual shifter. Bushings will make a difference if you already have an sts installed from the dealer.

Moving on....to Unclemat's point, if you just want to remove an inch from your shifter height just buy a very short, weighted knob. You'll remove an inch of height and it'll feel MUCH more connected.

The Short Throw Shifter (STS) you have installed OEM is not much shorter than stock. But it IS shorter in THROW length and is a pretty nice shifter.

I would not get a Cobb STS or Kartboy STS if you already have that....just get a new knob :)

Joe

moving on....to unclemat's point, if you just want to remove an inch from your shifter height just buy a very short, weighted knob. You'll remove an inch of height and it'll feel much more connected.

The short throw shifter (sts) you have installed oem is not much shorter than stock. But it is shorter in throw length and is a pretty nice shifter.

I would not get a cobb sts or kartboy sts if you already have that....just get a new knob :)

joe

+1

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

This is very interesting. I have the STi STS and I feel like it's not much different than the normal shifter.

I was almost thinking that I got ripped off and they didn't ever install the STS. Was going to look into getting the KartBoy.

Looks like I'll order a knob and see if it's how I like it ;)

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I have an '08 Legacy Spec 6 speed w/ factory short throw shifter. What knob would you recommend?

Few people have 6spds with oem sts. I am doing 6spd swap into my 05 LGT wagon and I am wondering about this as well. I need to buy shifter assembly so I may as well buy the sts one.

Ob my 5MT OEM STS I use "Black leather" (RACIR) knob (foremerly called Air Leather):

http://www.momo.com/usa/products.php?id_cat=2&id_subcat=4&id_product=88&l=en

I love how it feels and it matches the perforated emergency brake level and steering wheel perfect.

There is also shorter 6-speed comaptible half-leather/half-alu version - ALUAIR-R. That could work on 6-speed shifter rod.

GTKansan - Not sure if you have either installed, but I would highly recommend looking at my past posts on addressing the notchiness of my Cobb STS. It took me a good amount of adjustment, but if I had done from the beginning what I had done by the end, I wouldn't have had the headache.

Now, I love it. Essentially, I had to do the following:

-Loosen the pivot bolt 1/4-1/2" a turn from tight

-Grease the shifter ball, ball-bushing, pivot bolt and pivot bushings

-Cut a modest amount of foam insulation and rubber at the bottom of the shifter plate. This helped with keeping the shifter from getting "bound up" in material from it's new range of movement.

-Lengthen the throw slightly to keep it from getting too close to the metal shifter bezel

-Raise the shift height a tad to maintain the shifter height I wanted.

-Loosen the stock knob 1-full turn....I swear to God I did this at one point and a tremendous amount of notchiness went away. The knob was not loose, not did it raise it tangibly. I just loosened it from full-tight by about 1 turn.

-Replace the stock transmission fluid with something better suited to the shorter throws, allowing the syncros to mesh easier.

I was very unhappy with the Cobb STS until I took these steps. Each one noticeably increased my happiness with the setup. Now, I'm very happy. If I had done this all at once, I would've loved it from the start. My shifts are crisp, short in throw, medium in height, and I don't hear any gear whine/scratchiness or feel any real notchiness. I have no problems going into reverse, 1st, or 2nd (all of which I experienced stock or during the transitions). There is pretty much never a crunch or heavy clicking when going into any gear, even when it's cold out (so far down to 36 degrees).

If you think about it, the Cobb STS is the same as the stock knob....except it allows you to adjust the length above and below the pivot point. If you keep the Cobb you can set it to stock throw length and shorten the height, and you'll have the exact same shifter as your stock would be with a cut height....so you should know whether or not you'll be happy by cutting your stock height.

Hope this helps!

Joe

I don't like Cobb because it does not maintain geometry of the shifter - it's straight vs. OEM that's angled. I guess actually Kartboy might be a good choice because it seems to copy OEM design.

The cobb design is actually similar to the stocker (the shit fork attachment is offset from the center of the shift rod), so i dont see any major difference between it and the Kartboy with respect to that..

I tired a lot of permutations on the fit of the cobb, only at a VERY long shift could i get the notchiness out. Not worth it. I shortened my stocker yesterday and it gives me enough of what I want.

Archived