LegacyGT.com

My Final Questions Before Buying...

I haven't test driven the Legacy GT Limited yet but the only other option I have is the G35x and over 5 years, that's $15K more that I could have used as an investment. Even if I bought the Legacy and spent $5K modifying it to my liking, it is still $10K saved over the G35x. I'm sure a lot of these questions have been answered in various threads but I haven't been able to go through all of them and it'd be easier to just answer them in my thread. :p

1. Has anyone added an aftermarket navigation system yet? If so, which type? How much did it cost plus installation?

2. Has anyone added a backup camera to the navigation system? Installation costs on this?

3. How is the rear legroom for adults? Is it something you could comfortably ride in for long hours?

4. How much are HIDs for the Legacy?

5. Is the center dash area durable? (Keys etc.)

6. Are there a lot of hidden storage areas for change, sunglasses, cell phone?

7. Would you recommend buying a ValentineOne on the same day as the Legacy GT Limited to avoid speeding tickets?

8. Is there an input for the ipod? If not, is it possible to connect the ipod with aftermarket items (outside of FM transmitters)?

9. Are the heated seats for the bottom or are they back and bottom?

10. Do any of you miss/regret not having steering wheel audio controls?

11. Have they announced when they plan to release the 2006 model? (I plan to buy in June/July 2005)

12. How is the climate control system? Does it heat up and cool you off quickly?

13. If there was one thing the current owners could change about the car, what would it be?

14. To spoiler or not to spoiler?

15. Are the tires as bad as everyone makes them out to be or will they be fine for northeast driving?

16. What functions can you control via the key fob?

17. After long term driving, would you rate the sound system poor, adequate, or excellent?

18. In any dangerous weather situations, did you lose confidence in the handling of the car or did it pull you through better than expected?

19. Are the seats comfortable on long trips and supportive during "sporty" manuevers?

20. Would you buy the Legacy again?

and finally, lucky 21...

21. Did you lease or buy? Why?

This answers most of the questions I have about the car... Hopefully they have what I want on the lot but if not, I hope I don't have to wait TOO long for it to come. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

1. I just have my Garmin Quest stuck to the window. It's handy to remove and pop in another car or one of my bikes.

2. n/a. why?

3. your adult passengers won't like you after a couple of hours. waaa, they're just extra weight. LOL

4. n/a

5. yes, I guess

6. not particularly, I clip my sunglasses on the visor, carry change in my pocket and cellphone on the seat next to me

7. YES

8. no input for I-pod, but there are adapters becoming availabe

9. that's a great question. I don't use mine that often, but I'm assuming they are bottom & partial back

10. YES

11. NO

12. there have been some complaints about the HVAC system. I love it, set it/forget it

13. the factory tires...they're horrid

14. NO SPOILER, they're for Indy cars

15. I suppose as long as you drive northeast and don't make any turns or heavy braking the tires should be fine. LOL You be the judge, you'll hate 'em

16. lock, unlock, tailgate unlock (wagon), panic....and the best one is the inadvertant locking/unlocking of your car when you put the fob in your pocket. you'll know what I mean the first time you put yours in your pocket

17. just adequate...and that's with the factory sub.

18. my LGT wagon performs flawlessly during inclement weather. I live in Minnesota

19. yes & yes

20. yes

and finally, lucky 21...

21. bought mine. I put too many miles on a car to lease it. I bought mine in late September and I was surprised to look down today and watch her turn over 12K miles.

1. yes someone has, but i haven't yet

2. not that i am aware of but shouldn't be hard or too expensive

3. r we talking about NBA players or what?

4. kits cost $350~700, installation is free if you DIY

5. dunno

6. yes, if you don't have other crap

7. no comment, i don't speed often

8. FM modulator should work

9. i think butt and back

10. not really

11. IIRC, usually june

12. yes, after the engine warms up

13. there should be aux in!!!

14. to ugly or not to ugly?

15. winter tires are always better than all-season. the stock tires are acceptable for everyday non-spirited driving.

16. :confused:

17. adequate

18. well i have been driving subaru's for 7 yrs so i am used to it

19. they are okay

20. why not

21. buy, because i didn't want any nightmares from lease

This Space For Rent

I, too, have wavered back and forth between the G35x and the GT. They're both great cars. The G35x definitely seems more luxurious, and the seats are vastly better than the Soob. It also has xenon HIDs, a 225 watt Bose stereo, and rear AC vents, not to mention the best V-6 on the market.

But I'm going to go with the GT. Fully loaded up for about $7000 less than the G35x, I don't think you can beat it. And since my budget is a bit tight at the moment...

If money were no object, I might lean towards the Infiniti. But the best offer I have on the GT ltd is $27,800 and the G35x is $34,800. That's quite a difference.

The G35x being auto is not a bad thing for my line of work.... I have been going back and forth on this to the point of driving myself nuts (thus the name)... I like the Legacy a lot and it's the value minded, practical buy but the G35x is the emotional car. I think in the end, I will end up leasing since I am far from mechanically inclined and would like a new car every three years. This, of course, opens the range quite a bit for leasing (or balloon financing I guess because of stupid NY). I doubt I will go over the Legacy or G35x (although an M35x would be better but Infiniti isn't putting lease numbers for the M on their site) because they fit my needs fine. The things that bother me about the Legacy are the complaints about the seats, lack of steering wheel audio controls (not a HUGE deal but it's nice because it's there), lack of navi ($2K + $500+ installation)... It will be interesting to see what it boils down to come this June/July... If I lease, it might be even sooner.. I'm doing my research now and whatever I end up with, I'm sure I'll be happy. Many of you may wonder why I haven't test driven yet and that is because coming from my '97 Legacy L and shopping in this price range, I can't imagine the ride or quality being any worse... So it comes down to features.. Like I said, we shall see... :)

1. Sales guy at Fitzmall told me that the nav will "most likely" be coming. He dodged the question and was like "this cubby hole is THE perfect place for a nav" .. duh.

2. I suppose if the unit has an aux video in, anything is possible or if the camera had came with a unit that you would feed into a line-in. why do you need a camera for the rear anyway? it's not like it's an escalade and you can't see out of the back because of the wall of speakers.

3. i'm height challenged. my friends say it's pretty nice in the other 4 places besides the driver seat. (pass, 2 rear seats and trunk)

4. aftermarket kit ranges from low 3's to 600s

5. center dash is classy. i've banged on it a couple times and thrown stuff around and it does seem fairly tough

6. up front, door pockets. in the trunk yes.

7. i caravan with the person in front of me that owns the V1.

8. No. by default, no aux in i believe.

9. bottom only

10. no.

11. I heard "summer"

12. climate control is "overzealous" and the a/c has a mind of it's own

13. audio system. I would change it to be less "exclusive" and more "normal" so i can go and buy my own headunit or plug an i-pod with it or put a nav unit with it or x, y or z

14. i have a wagon, so spoiler comes free

15. i live in MD, seems ok for snow but i do this thing called "abnormal md driving". when the weather is bad or snowing or whatever, i slow down and drive like i'm suppose to .. and not like a maniac like 80% of this state

16. fob? key ring? lock, unlock, panic. once for driver, twice for all doors

17. 1200 miles - average. it's not a bose in a lexus so don't get your hopes up.

18. safer then my rx7 =).

19. more comfort than sport, but i'm used to a corbeau racing seat. stock seat i wish there was a little more padding near the thighs

20. yes. economical, nice, it goes like stink, looks sharp out the outside, "beginner classy" on the inside

21. bought. i drive 100+ miles a day and probably more on weekends. i would be on the short end if i picked a lease

1, 2. Nope - don't need either

3. I regularly haul full size adults (and some 6'4" guys too) around... no problems short or long distance

4. HIDs - Stock lamps are more than adequate

5. So far dash is very durable but would expect that the aluminum could scratch

6. Enough for me

7. Yes - I you like the V1

8. Nope. Search is your real friend on this one. ... lots of posts about this topic

9. Heated seats are bottom AND seat back as a unit... not independently controllable

10. None

11. July/August 2006

12. ACC is fine - works as advertised

13. Add a 6MT with gearing to match the LGT's power band

14. Wagons come with spoilers... sedans should too

15. Not a bit of problem in heavy, heavy rain and dry. Not tried them in snow yet.

16. Doors, rear hatch, panic

17. Excellent

18. Absolutely pulled me through. Coming down a very wet offramp yesterday at speed and another car ahead knocked a large road safety cone out into the road in front of me and I dodged (cut hard left to avoid), on a very wet and slippery surface) and then cut very hard right to drive around it. Car never faltered, slipped or skidded, just drove around and then straightened out like you'd expect an superb AWD to do.

19. Very comfortable. Would need more driver bolstering for routine auto-x

20. Yes WOAD

21. Bought - so I could make any changes, mods, etc., completely worry free - could not do that on a lease.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Wow. You have all been a tremendous help so far and I'm grateful. :) I've been playing with the financial aspects of the car and the things that are attached (maintenance, insurance, gas) and the Legacy makes the most sense based on value.

My biggest concerns are the heated seats, the stereo (which, coming from a 97 Legacy should be a substantial upgrade anyway) and a navigation system. I am eagerly awaiting more information on the 2006 models; hoping I can get a factory navi. It's just so much easier to have it inside that little storage space in the center console.

I'm not horribly worried about the power and handling and ride of this car. As crazy as it may sound, I thoroughly enjoyed driving my 1997 Subaru Legacy L a lot more than my father's 2004 Accord EX V6 with navi. The Honda is definitely more luxurious but I need a car with a personality and I know for a fact that nothing under $30K matches the Legacy in this respect. If Subaru opts not to add a navi for 2006 or by June/July 2005, I'll be buying an aftermarket and fitting it into that little storage area...

I certainly hope they do not dramatically change the '06 model but on the plus side, I should be able to get an '05 model for a great price once the '06 models come out this summer. Either way, CarsDirect.com has a pretty great price on the Legacy GT Limited at $28,954 with auto, popular equip package and a subwoofer. I look forward to a couple of months in the future when I can sit inside my practical yet luxurious new ride. :D

Archived