LegacyGT.com

need help with amp install

MYGSXR1000

i have a ? i spliced into the rear speakers and was going to wire the RCA up that way my problem is when i hook the center/positive part of the RCA to the speaker it works fine but if i try to hook up the ground it kicks the amp off is that normal?

i'm not sure i understand what your trying to do. Why are you hooking up rca's to speakers? If you have a line/out converter there should be 4 speaker wires usually white+ white/black- gray+ gray/black-. Whites are left and grays are right. Hook those wires up to coresponding speakers or behind radio. Then on the opposite side there are your rca connections and run a set of rcas from there to your amp and thats it. It sounds like your trying to hook rca's directly from your speaker to you amp which in theory will work but if any ground wire( the wires on the outside of the rca when stripped) is touching the center wire the positive it'll short out whatever your running it to. The amp is protecting itself from burning the channels out. Hope this helps.

/\ +1

you need to use a lineout converter. you're risking blowing your amp by running it drectly to the speaker. IIRC speakers are normally a 4 ohm load and RCAs are not so you would be pusing an incorrect signal into the amp which isnt good. the line out converter does more then just pass the signal going into the speaker into an rca plug it also changes the ohm going into the rca.

Archived