LegacyGT.com

Questions about a 3.0 swap

I'm looking to spend seven grand total, including the car. I'd drop 1k on an engine of some sort, and 600 on the wiring harness. As for the splice - I dont know what that costs. I'd like a screamer of an H6. Which H6 do I go for? Which H6 is best to mount onto the 5MT in the 2001? I'm assuming a nice exhaust will set me back 8-1200 dollars. What H6 performance mods can be done? as far as I understand, there aren't many, especially for the EG33. I can pick up an EG33 and EZ30D for about the same price, so it's up to your advice as to which engine to go for.

I would go for a the EG33 or 03+ EZ30D. Why? EG33 OBDI easy to merge along with EG33 ECU, bolts up to the 5MT. EZ30D the revised EZ30D is DBW, Valve Lift, still 10.7:1 CR, bolts to 5MT. Only problem is its a OBDII engine so you would have to make sure to get all the proper inputs to make the ECU happy or run a standalone or have it tuned to not care about certain aspects like the missing AFR and O2 sensors.

Cost wise EG33 is cheaper overall easier to swap into that base model. Exhaust for the EG or EZ would be all custom esp if you want her to sound like this:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Thats a EG33 swapped GC it is perfect.

Well, I've found an impreza wagon that runs and drives with a 5MT for 900. That impreza in the video sounded heavenly. Can an EG33 fit into a 97 impreza?

Yes the EG is slightly longer than the EJ might have to tweak the radiator mounts and cooling fans but it will fit.

I've got two directions I want to go.

1.) Naturally Aspirated screamer - whats the best way to get more performance?

2.) Forced induction. I've heard that I'll need EJ22 pistons to lower the compression ratio. Is it better to turbocharge or supercharge? Would a blower off an old 3800 V6 work?

Wait you want to boost a EG? YO dont need any pistons for that it can handle the boost Perrins EZ30 made in the 400hps easy with a GT30R snail and that was before sleeves and head work.

I would stick to N/A H6, simple, reliable, and makes good power in stock trim. You could do some minor tuning and head work squeeze out a few more ponies.

• 8 months later...

you could go n/a screamer and get yourself a 75-100hp port injected wet nitrous shot for the rare occasion the stock power didn't quite cut it but that wouldn't happen often at all after listening to that video I want one.... packaging would be a lot easier with n2o because you aren't gonna have much free space for a turbo once you drop that h6 into a impreza have you seen the turbo h6 they did on mighty car mods?

however a blower would be sick.. but that would take a whole custom made intake or a lot of complex mounts and a outlet adapter for the s/c not really worth it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/298a8e6d1002232ce27c7ad29ee047b4.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/15273951c74cff51ed5226841972b084.jpg

This is no joke.

are you sure? because that front end looks hideously funny.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Hmm that's really interesting. I was going to to a 255 swap with my 253 top end but I'd be somewhat tempted to do the H6 swap now. Only hang out is is miss that boxer growl and it looks like no uel available for 3.0

With a cat back the 3.0 sounds like a Porsche.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUoM9Qm2ig]Legacy 3.0R Exhaust sound - YouTube[/ame]

i wouldn't keep the uel just for the sound that's the sound of terrible exhaust inefficiency. and an h6 with a nice exhaust sounds amazing, not the same as a hopped up ej but still great

one of these days I will pick up an eg33 bump up the compression and have delta do the cams, and port/polish the heads, porting mostly exhaust side. 300 n/a hp shouldn't be all that hard to get to with a 33

I should admit that it's not ONLY the sound (though I do like that boxer growl). I'm trying really hard to get some more respectable power without rewiring the whole car. My understanding is that if I swap in a 255 but keep the top end from my 253 there shouldn't be any need to splice the harnesses. I do like the idea of putting on a n/a motor that's already over 200hp and then seeing what a turbo will do.

Archived