LegacyGT.com

What tire do you run in the winter?

japete01

• 3 months later...

I have always had two sets of tires, and would even if I didn't ski as often as I do. My thinking is that a good set of snow tires is about as much as most peoples' $500 deductible, and they last several years.

If you've got the cash and some storage space, buying a cheap set of wheels to go with your snows is the way to go. That way you don't have to pay to have them mounted/unmounted twice a year, and you can put them on whenever you want.

I've had Blizzaks, X-Ices and General Altimax Arctic. I would recommend the latter, because they were just as good as the other two, and cost me around $400 a set, shipped.

Being able to be sure that I will get to work and that I can stop when needed makes it worth it.

I had the conti dws on my LGT and thought they were only decent at best in the snow/ice area. Not confidence inspiring at all.

I will second that, have DWS on my LGT too. They are definitely better than other performance tires in the white stuff but IMHO just OK. I run General Altimax Arctic for the winter, they are pretty good cheap snow tires.

...General Altimax Arctic. I would recommend the latter, because they were just as good as the other two, and cost me around $400 a set, shipped.

Being able to be sure that I will get to work and that I can stop when needed makes it worth it.

The General Altimax are the only true winter tire I have used but they are awesome! Much better than any all-season tire I have ever had.

I have always had two sets of tires, and would even if I didn't ski as often as I do. My thinking is that a good set of snow tires is about as much as most peoples' $500 deductible, and they last several years.

+1 If I'd had my snow tires on last year when the cab hit me I can almost guarantee I would have been able to stop fast enough to see him coming. With the All-Seasons I basically had no brakes as I saw him spinning out across 4 lanes.

+2. I ran Dunlop Graspic's for the past four winters; they grabbed like crazy in ice & snow. Switched to Conti Extremes this season; not quite as good, but still worth the $$$.

I used to run Blizzak LM-25 and was happy enough with those to go for Blizzak LM-32 this year. I do think the LM-32 is a bit noisy though. Still worth the slight inconvenience for all the drives to the mountains I do in winter.

Archived