LegacyGT.com

newb Question

2.5blueGT

Very new to tuning. I have seen a lot of threads about bricked ECU's. I was planning on purchasing the COBB AP to do my tuning, that way I can buy a map from someone who knows what they are doing.

Now the question. Is the risk of bricking the ECU the same of the AP or is that process more stable? or I am just being way too paranoid?

First, you can buy an off the shelf (OTS) map, get "e-tuned" (remote tuned), or get pro-tuned (local tune) with either an AccessPORT or laptop+Tactrix OpenPort 2.0. So don't let that be the deciding factor between AP vs OP.

The risk of a bricked ECU is basically the same between the two, which is to say minimal. You're very unlikely to brick your ECU as long as you follow these rules:

1) Make sure your car's battery contains and is putting out plenty of juice.

2) Make sure the device you're using to reflash the ECU has plenty of juice in its battery (be it a laptop or an an AccessPORT).

3) If you're using a laptop, make sure there isn't much else running to potentially interfere with the reflash. I.e. close your web browsers and don't play Quake while you're reflashing :)

There are advantages to each system. E.g. with OP2.0 you can log direct to flash card without any loose devices or cables in the car. With AP you can do "real-time" tuning to update certain tables without a reflash, which lets a local tuner iterate quicker. The OP2.0 setup is a bit involved for someone who's uncomfortable with computers, whereas AP is closer to being plug-and-play. The OP2.0 can be used to read, log, & reflash friends' cars, it doesn't get "married" (Cobb terminology) to your car. The OP2.0 is cheaper. (Or if you need to buy a basic used laptop it's probably about the same, but now you have a laptop too.)

Archived