LegacyGT.com

Best Air filter for the Turbo

I know this topic was touched couple of times.

But what is the best air filter for the turbo engine.

Turbo needs substantially more air flow than the regular engine.

All the regular Legacy filters will fit, but most of them do not have enough airflow to supply to the turbo.

Any advice will be great!

(Except K&A - it is oiled and from what I read doesn't provide enough air)

Unless your going for high horsepower than you are incorrect, the "regular" legacy filters do allow enough air through.

A KnN doesn't provide enough air when cleaned improperly, many people add too much oil, this is what causes a restriction in air flow, not the design of the filter.

I know this topic was touched couple of times.

But what is the best air filter for the turbo engine.

Turbo needs substantially more air flow than the regular engine.

All the regular Legacy filters will fit, but most of them do not have enough airflow to supply to the turbo.

Any advice will be great!

(Except K&A - it is oiled and from what I read doesn't provide enough air)

My advice would be to read more and type less

It goes without saying that clean air filter is the best.

and for "My advice would be to read more and type less" - no comments, but I can assure you that if I type less - most people will answer wrong question, and If I read more - I would not have time to enjoy the car.

I am not newbie to this at all. I know that because of the oil and silicone K&n filters do not let as much air as others comparable dry filters, also statement that all filters let the same amount of air could not be farther from the truth.

Fram creates much more resistance than Beck and Arley, and wick and so on....

Here is something you may want to consider...the factory # for the 06 air filter is 16546AA10A. The later turbo and 6 cyl models use part # 16546AA12A which has a higher flow. Switch to the 12A filter and you should be fine until you exceed 350whp.

http://www.swagparts.com/media/00/a2079171355e62b1512aba_m.JPG

http://www.swagparts.com/media/00/a2079171355e62b7c6dba4_m.JPG

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

They dont all flow the same but the differences are small and do not matter to a stock car. The BEST air filter for your STOCK car is the one that Subaru engineers spent countless hours deciding was needed. If you are worried that it is not enough and you are sure that Beck and Arley and Wick are better than what else do you need to know? Run one of those.

• Moderators

I have an aFe Pro Dry S that I'm not using--didn't agree with my airbox for whatever reason so I went back to stock. I used a similar filter on my last car and it was great--for this car it doesn't seem that the airbox seals properly with it.

Anyway, if you want it I'd sell it pretty cheap. Basically new :spin:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

yeah, I had a avo dry filter and my AF learning was all over the place. it also didn't fit in the box correctly, there was a small leak at the bottom which caused some turbulence that I think messed with the MAF.

a word of general advice about these cars: the usual things that make for better performance and power (intake, exhaust etc) don't really come into play till you start bolting on giant turbos.

• Moderators
yeah, I had a avo dry filter and my AF learning was all over the place. it also didn't fit in the box correctly, there was a small leak at the bottom which caused some turbulence that I think messed with the MAF.

a word of general advice about these cars: the usual things that make for better performance and power (intake, exhaust etc) don't really come into play till you start bolting on giant turbos.

Yeah, it's odd. I had one on the old LGT and was tuned for it w/ stage 2--no issues. This new one on the OBXT ended up with my a/f trims adding fuel, I'm guessing to compensate for un-metered air. Similar mods, different results :confused:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have an aFe Pro Dry S that I'm not using--didn't agree with my airbox for whatever reason so I went back to stock. I used a similar filter on my last car and it was great--for this car it doesn't seem that the airbox seals properly with it.

I had that same problem with my aFe Pro Dry S filter, AF adjustments were all over the place so i threw in a WIX filter and poof all stable again.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I don't have a turbo, but I use an aem dryflow that seems to fit my airbox nicely. I actually had issues in the past with aftermarket paper filters not fitting properly, which is why I went with the AEM to begin with. I went into a little more detail in the post below.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4074362&postcount=3

They dont all flow the same but the differences are small and do not matter to a stock car. The BEST air filter for your STOCK car is the one that Subaru engineers spent countless hours deciding was needed. If you are worried that it is not enough and you are sure that Beck and Arley and Wick are better than what else do you need to know? Run one of those.

I agree that the stock/recommended air filter for a NA is perfectly fine. However I disagree that there's no benefit to upgrading to the filter intended for the 6 cyl and turbo cars. Sure it flows more air and this may not be necessary in a NA car, however it'll have larger surface area of filter media and a longer service life because of this.

I agree that the stock/recommended air filter for a NA is perfectly fine. However I disagree that there's no benefit to upgrading to the filter intended for the 6 cyl and turbo cars. Sure it flows more air and this may not be necessary in a NA car, however it'll have larger surface area of filter media and a longer service life because of this.

Keep in mind, according to the OP's profile info, he has a LGT. The 12A filter wasn't listed back then. Starting in 2007 the 12A was the proper filter to use in the LGT. So if he has been using the 10A up to this point, the 12A is an upgrade.

But in the end, the filter really isn't going to make any real difference. Unless you use the flamethrower AEM that is.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

• 1 year later...

I was wondering how so dust and debris got into my inlet, TMIC, throttle body hose (and presumably into the engine). When I took apart off these parts to replace the turbo, I couldn't explain why dirt pieces could get past the filter.

When I was cleaning the MAF tonight, I noticed the aFe pro dry air filter didn't fit the air box properly. Dirty air was getting past the filter. The "clean" part of the airbox shouldn't be dusty. I think hicksta had this on his car for 30k miles. I'm not super happy right now. :spin::spin::spin:

K&N also filters less and Chrysler were voiding warranties if you had one installed due to turbo dusting. Don't think anyone here is under factory warranty still if that is a deciding factor. I'm going back to my AEM filter when Humpty Dumpty is back together again.

I finally replaced my 10y/o Perrin panel filter in my 05 wagon with a K&N like I put in my 09 Spec B.

The Perrin was installed Aug 2004.

Never had any issue with lack of air flow. Even when the filter was dirty. I clean them once a year, then lightly oil them.

I thinks you guy's are making way to much of this.

BTW Yesterday I pulled the MAF sensor on the wagon to clean for the first time in 16 month's. Sprayed it with maf cleaner, tapped it on the clean white cloth, nothing came out, it was clean.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived