LegacyGT.com

Do you need the coolant conditioner?

You can use any coolant that is compatible with aluminium blocks / heads.

You mean Subaru doesn't make its own coolant from their own secret factory that has a friendly relationship with Subaru's own home grown aluminum molecules? Or is that just for Spec-Bs?

Snake oil.

Additives for oil and coolant are not needed, except to lighten your wallet.

Well, you are generally right.

Subaru says you have to use the coolant conditioner in ALL models.

Unfortunately the local dealer (including the foreman) that changed my coolant had never seen the TSB or read the owner's or service manuals and argued with me about it. They said that it was only used in the recall program of the earlier cars.

-- Steve

Snake oil.

Additives for oil and coolant are not needed, except to lighten your wallet.

Read this!

As far as the current coolant, Subaru knows that the coolant they sell is formulated for their engines, thay can't/won't say if any other brands are. The Subaru coolant is not very expensive.

As far as the conditioner, Subaru says to use it everytime the cooling system is refilled...it's only $1.30, cheap insurance. Definitly cheaper and less complicated than doing headgaskets later.

...and BTW, all 2009 Subaru's (and the 2008 STi) will use a new Subaru coolant that is good for 100,000 miles. It's blue in color and does not require the conditioner...and is only available from Subaru.

...and BTW, all 2009 Subaru's (and the 2008 STi) will use a new Subaru coolant that is good for 100,000 miles. It's blue in color and does not require the conditioner...and is only available from Subaru.

Yay! Blueberry Jello at 50,000 miles! I guess Subaru didn't learn anything from GM's DexCool mess.....

-- Steve

So, my car is going to blow head gaskets if I don't add a $1.30 "coolant conditioner"?

And I can't use any coolant that is safe for cars with aluminum heads and/or blocks? (like 98% of the cars out there?)

What is wrong with this picture?

:lol::lol: Do I need to use the Subaru Coolant Conditioner when replacing it with the Subaru Coolant? I'm drunk and replacing the coolant on the Outback 2.5i.:spin:

Are you still under warranty? (I'm pretty sure you are)

Then use it

Which will result in epic fail.

VAG's G12 (lifetime) turns into a pink slushee in real cold weather after 2 years, GM's Dexcool results in major engine problems when used over along period, other manus are having similar issues.

I don't really believe any fluid change interval that goes beyond the warranty period. It'll last 60k withoyut causing a warranty incident in most cars and will result in reduction of total cost of ownership numbers.

Longlife coolants are pretty nice, but I don't really think they're good for more than 60k

I thought that over time, any type of coolant's PH balance would change, making it more acidic thus rendering it corrossive. 2 years max!!! I just had my 15k inspection/service done but my car is 3 model years old now. I didn't take any chances. I had it flushed. 90$ isn't too much for peace of mind. Since it's still under warranty I have everything done at the dealership, but once I start doing things myself, I won't be cutting corners.

Use the conditioner and you won't regret it.

........As far as the conditioner, Subaru says to use it everytime the cooling system is refilled...it's only $1.30, cheap insurance. Definitly cheaper and less complicated than doing headgaskets later.......

Why can't the Subaru engineers design a proper head gasket, that doesn't leak?

Makes me wonder about the longevity of the head gaskets on Subaru's new diesel engine.

Archived