LegacyGT.com

Is 15.5 volts high for battery?

My brake light and battery light has been on ever since I replaced my alternator and I'm convinced it is a bad rebuilt alternator. The battery voltage is 12.0-12.1 when the key position is on the Accel positon and when the engine is idling it reads around 15.5 volts. Is that abnormal?

just checked mine, 11.6V with acc., 14.0V @ idle. Did you have the brake and battery lights before the alternator was replaced?
what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

Confident the meter you are using is accurate? Im assuming the alternator is from a parts store that will be able to test its voltage.. drive it up there and see what they read. If it is high, have them give you another one. At least its about the easiest thing to replace on the car. How long did your original one last?

Your voltage regulator has probably flown the coup.. as said before, 14.4 is pretty much the most you want. The battery is 12 volts, the alternator is 14 volt (to run shit and charge the battery) and while the car is running, the regulator should keep it at 13.5-14.4 volts. I have no clue where it is on the car... it could be built into the alternator.

Archived