LegacyGT.com

Up pipe install

bobbys402

see if someone will let you use a lift, it will make your life a lot easier (I've done it both ways, lift and jack/stands). I also took off the passenger side header to free up a lil more space, once all the bolts on the up pipe are off give it a lil twist and it'll drop right out. and +1 on the friend, even if they don't know how to do it it helps to have someone there. and new gaskets! :spin:

Becareful on the removal part. If it gets hung up and you lose your patience and start twisiting it and banging it around the upper flange part could push in the rubber half moon oil seal on the back of the head leading to a large oil leak. It didn't happen to me but seems to happen to some.

+1 on the oil leak.

The manual tells you to pull the turbo and bring the uppipe out the top.

This is by far the easiest.

But many people don't like pulling the turbo. In my experience if not pulling the turbo, loosening the motor mount and giving the engine a lift of a couple inches makes all the difference in dropping the pipe out the bottom cleanly. You might not get the EGT sensor out (without it breaking).

i did mine 3 weeks ago , it is a !@!@! bitch , take your time , follow the instructions on here , i-club, and nasioc , especially when it comes to the torq sequence for the uppipe connections and manifold , use new gaskets - which I could only find from subaru

1 thing I learned that isn't in any of the write ups:

1) you don't have to take out the front O2 sensor (its a bitch and you need a special tool) remove the manifold with the O2 sensor in and put the whole thing on the control arm * I was able to notch the heat shield on the car with an air grinder to clear the O2 sensor wire *

you have to loosen the right motor mount and jack the engine up if you're taking it out from the bottom , some posts say you don't need to but i don't see anyway to get it out otherwise

Archived