LegacyGT.com

Clutch replacement options

claymore_6r

Looking for some suggestion..

My clutch is slipping on 4th and 5th gears...therefore I'm in search of a new reliable clutch that don't cost me a fortune.

Currently the car has stage 2 ots tuned, Mods includes..PW TMIC, SPT exhaust, Invidia downpipe, Cobb BPV with 32k miles. I've spoke to four reputable shops within the forums and they all gave me different quotes and price amongst different clutches. The car is a DD and not planning on going any crazy..maybe a vf52 if the current turbo blow.

One suggested clutchmaster fx300 kit ($540 shipped), another suggested ACT HD (installed for $1350), a local shop suggested clutchmaster fx35 ($1700 installed), and last but not least Competition stage 2 w/steel flywheel ($1520 installed).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on which options is best. I've spent countless hours searching and comparing on this forums and I can't decide. :spin:

Thanks!

I would reply but I think Rey already quoted you for the ACT setup. In case he didn't mention we can also get the clutchmasters if you end up feeling that's a better route to go.

I'm not personally a fan of the pedal feel from the Competition Clutches, the clutchmasters are a bit closer to stock feel and the ACT is a hair stiffer than the clutchmasters.

With that said, we've had folks replace their OEM clutch after 80k miles with the ACT and CM and had them tell us that their pedal feel is softer than stock, so keep that in mind.

-mike

Thanks MIke...I did some more researched as of today. Could you send me a quote got the clutchmaster fx300 with the tsk3 kit for install? Or just the install only, I might buy pick up a used one from a buddy.

Thanks

We generally will not install used clutches because they are a wear item and there is no way to verify the prior use and we've found it only leads to issues down the road. I'll e-mail you with everything though.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Where are you guys getting the CM fx300 through? I ordered that kit months ago through Eurosport Design for 590$ shipped part# 15021-hdtz is supposed to fit my 05 lgt 5spd. I just got around to installing it and the PP wouldn't fit on, placed it against the old pp and its 1/2" smaller in diameter! My first thought was they packaged wrong parts in the right box? Of course they said it would be the manufacturers fault. Also is it normal for the CM disc to be made by exedy? and has anyone successfully installed this?

First the MAP on that part is $693, so they are selling it well below what they are allowed to sell it for. That usually means that you will get subpar support from the reseller if something goes wrong because they are making almost no money on the sale!

Exedy makes a lot of the plates although I'm not sure if they would actually be marked as exedy on it.

Lastly, that part is for 06+ WRX or 07+ LGT, which means it will be different than your OEM one although I don't think the diameter is what is effected, the thickness of the flywheel is what's different. That part number will need the SMFW from the 07+LGT/06+WRX to work properly.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

• Moderators
First the MAP on that part is $693, so they are selling it well below what they are allowed to sell it for. That usually means that you will get subpar support from the reseller if something goes wrong because they are making almost no money on the sale!

Exedy makes a lot of the plates although I'm not sure if they would actually be marked as exedy on it.

Lastly, that part is for 06+ WRX or 07+ LGT, which means it will be different than your OEM one although I don't think the diameter is what is effected, the thickness of the flywheel is what's different. That part number will need the SMFW from the 07+LGT/06+WRX to work properly.

-Mike Paisan

Couple things:

-$693 for the clutch is ridiculous--I paid $575 for my FX350 and I've heard of others getting prices as low as $525 (now *that* i think is too low). CM lists the clutch in their online price guide at $575 last I looked.

-FWIW, my FX350 was marked with exedy if I recall correctly.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Couple things:

-$693 for the clutch is ridiculous--I paid $575 for my FX350 and I've heard of others getting prices as low as $525 (now *that* i think is too low). CM lists the clutch in their online price guide at $575 last I looked.

-FWIW, my FX350 was marked with exedy if I recall correctly.

That's odd because the retail price in their catalog is $770, with a MAP of $693 for the FX300. I can only go by the pricing put out to the resellers from the manufacturers...

Either way when you purchase from an online slam bam thank you ma'am place they are not likely to be helpful post-sale. :(

-Mike Paisan

Right you are on the flywheel, 05& 06 need to replace the dual mass with a single mass wrx or aftermarket equivalent, which it already had a lightweight act which I resurfaced. Like I said fitment issue for me is the pp diameter doesnt match the fw, hoping to hear from someone that had installed this same kit in the same model/year. The input is greatly appreciated tho guys.

• Moderators
Either way when you purchase from an online slam bam thank you ma'am place they are not likely to be helpful post-sale. :(

-Mike Paisan

This is quite true. In reality though, if you are changing your own clutch at home there really isn't much support to be had no matter what vendor you buy the parts from. Having a non-licensed mechanic install the parts generally voids any warranty anyway.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm having good performance out of my Spec 2 clutch. I think Mike got it for me. A little stiffer then the OEM clutch in my 09 Spec B but the clutch has performed flawlessly. Almost 30,000 miles on it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Exedy FJK1001 + 5 quarts of Extra-S $391 shipped from FredBeans via Amazon. Will hold your power levels and future aspirations if you go VF52. If you think the flywheel is toast get the FJK1001FW but most likely your stocker is fine. Don't buy the TSK3 unless you've suffered a catastrophic TOB failure.

Found my problem to be the ACT flywheel the previous owner installed happened to be part# 600185, which is the model for the n/a 2.5! Why he had that in my Gt is beyond me, and I assume it was mated to the 2.5i act PP as well. My fx300 kit had the correct contents after all, so now I'm in the market for a wrx smfw so i can get her back together. Any thoughts against a used one like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-OEM-FLYWHEEL-2-5L-TURBO-FACTORY-FLY-WHEEL-USED-/291047005620?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c3c0ddb4&vxp=mtr

A used FW isnt a bad option esp since the owner that went to LWFW or other route will never use it again. Even if it needs a quick touch up its saves a ton of money.

That owner cut corners big time! The OEM 06+ FW will work with a 2.5i OEM clutch pack it is slightly heavier but its works. Still that model had a OEM DMFW the only option should have been 06+ OEM SMFW and appropriate clutch pack.

A used FW isnt a bad option esp since the owner that went to LWFW or other route will never use it again. Even if it needs a quick touch up its saves a ton of money.

That owner cut corners big time! The OEM 06+ FW will work with a 2.5i OEM clutch pack it is slightly heavier but its works. Still that model had a OEM DMFW the only option should have been 06+ OEM SMFW and appropriate clutch pack.

Used flywheels are a good deal if you can find em. Just have them resurfaced. Usually they will last 200K-300k as long as you don't run your clutch down to the rivets each time.

-Mike Paisan

Archived