LegacyGT.com

No power to the rear wheels 1995 legacy LS Automatic

Hello all, I just noticed yesterday that my rear wheels are not getting any power from the transmission. I had snow pack in my driveway and noticed I was having a hard time getting up the drive, I opened my door to look at the rear wheel (left side), gave it some gas and the wheel didn't spin.

The transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago, and has less that 20,000mi on the clock.

I put a fuse in the FWD socket, and got the indicator light on the dash, I've read that means the Duty C? solenoid is working. I'm going to contact the transmission shop that did the work. I'm thinking the transfer case was not included in the rebuild. So maybe it needs a clutch pack.

I just wanted to see what the braintrust thinks before I go into battle!

Oh yeah, it does have the driveshaft in place..

Thanks

Gbrown

Check to see if the right rear wheel is spinning, the rear diff is open meaning the wheel with the lest resistance gets the power. Also the solenoid only transfers 10% of the power to the rear wheels in D-3, and then 50/50 in 2-1. There shouldn't be a fuse in the fwd slot unless you want to disable the rear wheels. And from what ive read if the clutch pack goes out you would experience lots of binding when turning. Hope this helps and good luck!

kevlars info sounds right.

but if you put in the fuse and drive the car,

it should feel different in 2WD or FWD than in AWD.

so i would test drive the car on the dry flat hiway with the fuse in and out and note the difference.

it should feel different.

how are your tires?

bad tires can make AWD much less affective.

how often do you drive this car and these tires in the snow?

spinning tires are a bad thing.

did the front wheels spin?

kevlars info sounds right.

but if you put in the fuse and drive the car,

it should feel different in 2WD or FWD than in AWD.

so i would test drive the car on the dry flat hiway with the fuse in and out and note the difference.

it should feel different.

how are your tires?

bad tires can make AWD much less affective.

how often do you drive this car and these tires in the snow?

spinning tires are a bad thing.

did the front wheels spin?

Thanks, I'll try the fuse in and out and see if there's a difference.

I live in Colorado, so every year.

Only the front right tire would spin.

Tires are real good (coopers)

Ok, there shouldn't be a fuse or any fuse in that FWD fuse slot. This is ONLY for diagnostic purposes and isn't ment for turning the trans into a fwd only for daily driving.

Your Viscous Coupler is bad if your not getting power to the rear wheels. This or someone down the line removed the rear driveshaft due to a Viscous Coupler locking up or toqure bind when turning tight.

Archived