LegacyGT.com

2 tunes, which one looks better?

brandonGT

http://scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=4979

http://scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=4955

the first link is at 19 psi and the second link is at 18 psi. the car is mainly a weekend/track car and id like to know which tune would be better for the drag strip. 19 psi tune feels MUCH stronger but for some reason i cant seem to beat the 18 psi tune in times. at 18 psi the 50-80 mph is 4.060 seconds and at 19 psi it is 4.233 seconds. can somebody explain to me why the tune that feels much slower is actually faster?

2006 Legacy GT 5EAT

3 in catless turboback

catless uppipe

AEM intake

Perrin Intercooler

sea level

I was reviewing the logs and was about to say the 18psi tune looks faster, then I read your post. I judge this by the length of the log. I can't plot them so I am guessing the 19 psi map is heating up the air a bit too much. It really seem to be peaking at about 19.5-19.75psi vs 18.5psi (what I run). Your timing is very close on both so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I think you are just running off the efficiency island. And wow your car holds boost well up top!

You should post the csv instead of using scandepot.

It's very difficult to manipulate scandepot files.

Minimize the stuff that you log. You don't need to log EGT and AFR #1.

I would log throttle angle instead of accelerator pedal.

Next time log VVT-I.

You should post the csv instead of using scandepot.

It's very difficult to manipulate scandepot files.

Minimize the stuff that you log. You don't need to log EGT and AFR #1.

I would log throttle angle instead of accelerator pedal.

Next time log VVT-I.

to add to what i was saying earlier, i just dont see how i am getting faster times on the tune that feels SOOO much slower. with the 19+ psi map, i can spin all 4 tires in 1st gear. and at 18 psi, ive never spun the tires. also, at 19 psi when i punch it from a 50 roll, it feels so fast and smooth like an airplane take-off, almost feels as if i have something bigger than a vf40 under the hood.

to add to what i was saying earlier, i just dont see how i am getting faster times on the tune that feels SOOO much slower. with the 19+ psi map, i can spin all 4 tires in 1st gear. and at 18 psi, ive never spun the tires. also, at 19 psi when i punch it from a 50 roll, it feels so fast and smooth like an airplane take-off, almost feels as if i have something bigger than a vf40 under the hood.

None of this has anything to do with your 50-80 mph time.

None of this has anything to do with your 50-80 mph time.

yea i know but im just tryin to figure out how the tune that feels so much quicker is in fact the slower of the two.

i think what i might ultimately do is pay 90$ and put the car on the car on the dyno to see which tune makes more power. its too bad that log interpolation software doesnt work for 5eat's

yea i know but im just tryin to figure out how the tune that feels so much quicker is in fact the slower of the two.

i think what i might ultimately do is pay 90$ and put the car on the car on the dyno to see which tune makes more power. its too bad that log interpolation software doesnt work for 5eat's

Try to start your logs at a different point, say 3500rpms in 3rd and compare. When running a pull from say 2k or so the turbo will genereate much more heat and hurt the times and power output as well.

What do you mean? I thought I fixed it. If there's a bug, let me know.

Just log rpm and mph and post your logs. RENAME the extension from .csv to .pdf and then post it. Then in your post, state that it is actually a .csv file.

It won't give you correct ABSOLUTE values but it will give you the ability to compare tunes on the same car with the same setup.

In any case, if you look at dyno plots, etc..., they are all different depending upon the dyno and settings (for loadable dynos). Dynos are only a tool used for comparisons.

Just log rpm and mph and post your logs. RENAME the extension from .csv to .pdf and then post it. Then in your post, state that it is actually a .csv file.

It won't give you correct ABSOLUTE values but it will give you the ability to compare tunes on the same car with the same setup.

In any case, if you look at dyno plots, etc..., they are all different depending upon the dyno and settings (for loadable dynos). Dynos are only a tool used for comparisons.

yea i loaded my .csv file on the interpolation software, got the data on the accel tab for rpm and mph and when i calculated acceleration this is what i got:

Max 253 hp @ 90 rpm

Max 20963 tq @ 40 rpm

and none of the graphs showed up on the acceleration charts, hp charts, etc.

there we go, finally got it. make sure to save as a .csv

18 psi.pdf

19 psi.pdf

I'm getting this.

[font=Arial][size=2]<html>[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<!-- Copyright 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. -->[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<head>[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<meta http-equiv="Expires" content="Sat[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<title>Yahoo! Mail</title>[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<script language="JavaScript">[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]window.onerror = function(sMsg[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]var str[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]var brows="otherBrows"[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]if (ua.indexOf('msie')!=-1){brows='ie';}[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]else if (ua.indexOf('safari')!=-1){brows='saf';}[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]else if (ua.indexOf('firefox')!= -1){brows='ff';}[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]if (ua.indexOf('mac')!=-1){plat='mac';}[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]else if (ua.indexOf('windows')!= -1){plat='win';}[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]str = ["ScriptError"[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]RS = document.createElement("IMG");[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]RS.onload = function(){ eval( "'onload'; this.onload = null; this.onerror = null;" ) };[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]RS.onerror = function(){ eval( "'onerror'; this.onload = null; this.onerror = null;" ) };[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]RS.src = "rs?log=ScriptError;" + str.join("-");[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]window.onerror = null;[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]return false;[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]}[/size][/font]

Just rename the original .csv file that was output from romraider. Don't edit or alter it. Just rename the extension.

I'm getting this.

[font=Arial][size=2]<html>[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<!-- Copyright 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. -->[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<head>[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<meta http-equiv="Expires" content="Sat[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<title>Yahoo! Mail</title>[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]<script language="JavaScript">[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]window.onerror = function(sMsg[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]var str[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]var brows="otherBrows"[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]if (ua.indexOf('msie')!=-1){brows='ie';}[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]else if (ua.indexOf('safari')!=-1){brows='saf';}[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]else if (ua.indexOf('firefox')!= -1){brows='ff';}[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]if (ua.indexOf('mac')!=-1){plat='mac';}[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]else if (ua.indexOf('windows')!= -1){plat='win';}[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]str = ["ScriptError"[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]RS = document.createElement("IMG");[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]RS.onload = function(){ eval( "'onload'; this.onload = null; this.onerror = null;" ) };[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]RS.onerror = function(){ eval( "'onerror'; this.onload = null; this.onerror = null;" ) };[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]RS.src = "rs?log=ScriptError;" + str.join("-");[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]window.onerror = null;[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]return false;[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=2]}[/size][/font]

Just rename the original .csv file that was output from romraider. Don't edit or alter it. Just rename the extension.

***Corrected***

that should work, at least it did for me

18 psi.pdf

19 psi.pdf

Sorry. There was a bug in my modification to the spreadsheet. I updated the acceleration and horsepower calculation but then I stopped there. I forgot to update the torque and the graphs.

Here are your logs using the acceleration function. The REFERENCE values are your 18 psi log. You are definitely making more power with your 18 psi tune. It looks like more than just heat soak. To me, it looks like the 19 psi tune may have tried to advance the AVCS above 5200 rpm. I am guessing this because thie other parameters look normal. BTW, the VF40 hotside is too small to have any AVCS above 5200 rpm.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/mickeyd2005/untitled-21.jpg

so i guess i can keep the 19+ psi in the low and mid range, i just need to taper it off more

Possibly, however over about 5k rpms your MRP is about the same. You may want to log your AVCS to see if it is the same on each map.

Sorry. There was a bug in my modification to the spreadsheet. I updated the acceleration and horsepower calculation but then I stopped there. I forgot to update the torque and the graphs.

Is your new revision posted up for D/L?

Archived