LegacyGT.com

AWD Problem 92 wagon

I just purchased a 1992 Legacy Wagon. When I got the car the FWD fuse was in under the hood. I wanted the car for AWD so I tried pulling the fuse and driving to work.

It seemed to run fine until I reached about 40kms/hr (25mph) when the entire car starting lurching and felt like it was struggling badly. I kept going and the lurching went away once I hit about 60kms/hr (35mph). I drove the rest of the way to work for most of my commute at highway speeds and didn't notice any other problems other than a slight vibration from one of the rear wheels (wheel bearing most likely). Once I slowed down below about 60kms/hr the car felt like it was struggling again.

I don't know what is going on but in the meantime I've put the FWD fuse back in and have been driving in FWD only for the past week. The problem doesn't seem to happen when in FWD.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or any idea what I need to do to diagnose it and fix it?

also check the tires, make sure all 4 are the same size and brand and have the same amount of tread. my dads had the same problem and its the clutch worn out in the transmission. would chatter bad around corners too. so i hooked it up with a switch on the dash. selectible 4x4 lol. drove the car for another 4 years like that till it rusted bad and didnt pass inspection anymore.

So I did a diagnoses test and an error code for 32-vehicle speed sensor came up. Something that I don't think is related and I have no idea what that could be.

I do have two different brands of tires on the car but the same size. It does shudder when doing a corner at higher speeds. I should try the tires first?

I hope it's not a transmission problem.

On my way home from work today I must have hit something and clipped a brake line. I started losing pressure on the way home. Saturday is turning into Subaruday.

I've got a list of repairs now.

The tires should be the same brand/model and the same tread wear.

VSS codes will cause issues, so you will want to sort that out as well.

A clipped brake line won't cause a slow decrease in pressure. You'll, more or less, instantly have no pedal. It's possible you ruptured a seal in the master cylinder, though. That isn't too uncommon, especially in a car that's more than 20 years old now.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The tires should be the same brand/model and the same tread wear.

VSS codes will cause issues, so you will want to sort that out as well.

A clipped brake line won't cause a slow decrease in pressure. You'll, more or less, instantly have no pedal. It's possible you ruptured a seal in the master cylinder, though. That isn't too uncommon, especially in a car that's more than 20 years old now.

I found where I'm losing brake pressure. Looks like a previous owner had the same issue at one time and mickey moused it. I will start a new thread for this problem.

Archived