LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

My understanding is that Subaru Extra S gear oil is to make the Subaru MT box shift like butter. However, when it comes to the front diff, there's no need for a fancy gear oil. It's just a rack and pinion and some spyder gears up front. Unless you have my diff, which is a mechanical TBD, and even that still doesn't need anything special. Name brand synthetic 75W-90, or whatever your climate dictates.

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/images/articles/torsen3.gif

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Alright- been having some issues with 2-3 shift slipping. I originally noticed it a couple weeks ago (completely stock, no tune), had it in intelligent mode & manual, merging onto the highway WOT (i didnt upshift manually). Slipped pretty bad and then slammed into 3rd. Figured it was because i was in and it shifts slower. Tried to recreate it, and didnt slip in S# (dont think i tried S). Since then i got an accessport and running the stage 1 93 map. Similar thing happened the other day merging on the highway- i was in manual- S this time, didnt upshift, and it slipped bad. Recreated the slip in S (both manual and auto mode). did not slip in S#. So my question- are my clutch packs wearing out or is the shift too slow? or a little of both?

What size are the rubber transmission lines that are towards the front of the car under the battery tray?

I am trying to order a t fitting so that I can install a temp sensor that is 1/8" npt.

Prosport sells an 8mm barb fitting tee contraption but that equals out to be just a bit less than 3/4" according to a google search.

When I sent the diagram of the prosport fittings out for a quote, the guy got back to me with "are you sure it is 8mm? It is very similar to a 5/16"."

Now I am confused, so I am wondering what size the rubber hose is so I can get the proper barb fitting.

Thanks.

MIGHT sound dumb :lol:

Use Subaru extra-s fluid. I'm pretty sure you the 5mt gearbox shares the fluid with the front diff. You can order the extra-s from Fred beans parts for a reasonable amount.

Do not use ATF (AUTOMATIC Transmission Fluid), lol

so is there a separate process to change the fluid for the diff? this is my first awd car and NO ONE ELSE in my family has had one so it's all new to me.

• Moderators
so is there a separate process to change the fluid for the diff? this is my first awd car and NO ONE ELSE in my family has had one so it's all new to me.

Brett, stop posting your questions here in the 5EAT thread because folks aren't realizing you have a 5MT and are giving you bad advice.

PM me with questions, I should be able to help you out.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Alright- been having some issues with 2-3 shift slipping. I originally noticed it a couple weeks ago (completely stock, no tune), had it in intelligent mode & manual, merging onto the highway WOT (i didnt upshift manually). Slipped pretty bad and then slammed into 3rd. Figured it was because i was in and it shifts slower. Tried to recreate it, and didnt slip in S# (dont think i tried S). Since then i got an accessport and running the stage 1 93 map. Similar thing happened the other day merging on the highway- i was in manual- S this time, didnt upshift, and it slipped bad. Recreated the slip in S (both manual and auto mode). did not slip in S#. So my question- are my clutch packs wearing out or is the shift too slow? or a little of both?

How many miles? What is the ATF service history?

What size are the rubber transmission lines that are towards the front of the car under the battery tray?

I am trying to order a t fitting so that I can install a temp sensor that is 1/8" npt.

Prosport sells an 8mm barb fitting tee contraption but that equals out to be just a bit less than 3/4" according to a google search.

When I sent the diagram of the prosport fittings out for a quote, the guy got back to me with "are you sure it is 8mm? It is very similar to a 5/16"."

Now I am confused, so I am wondering what size the rubber hose is so I can get the proper barb fitting.

Thanks.

I forgot which, the inside diameter of the hoses are either 5/16" or 3/8". All google search results say 3/8", so there you go http://subaru.rockhopjohn.com/Transcool.pdf

Take a look at this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/2975/10002/-1

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

~51k, no ATF service history to my knowledge. I guess I should start looking into that.

All of that ATF has to go. Replace it all with either Amsoil ATF, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF, or Subaru ATF HP for 5eat. Confirm the fluid level after a drive, then check back in. And try to find a low pressure flush machine service that pumps the fluid in the normal direction of flow, and if you're lucky, lets the trans pump out the old fluid on its own power. Not cheap, but you don't have a choice. Also cheaper than any alternative.

Can the the line pressure be increased using a programmer to create firmer/quicker shifts without damaging the 5EAT in a 2012 3.6R?

The answer to this is surprisingly complicated. There are some clever experimental tricks that can be performed to the ECU tune to increase line pressure (somewhat) as a side effect of changing other things. This is well beyond the scope of this thread, and will take a lot of digging and experimenting to get a good answer.

• 2 weeks later...
Crossposting, enough of you have asked about doing a DIY 5EAT ATF Flush, that I slapped together this walkthrough. If it doesn't make sense to you after reading my WHOLE post and going through the links, then don't do it. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-5eat-atf-flush-197248.html?p=4180890#post4180890

• 2 weeks later...