LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed intercooler options

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a grimmspeed intercooler, but am not sure which heat management option to pursue.... The black thermal dispersant option is 100 bucks more than the raw and I'm not sure if it would make much if any difference in my situation. Or if going with the raw finish and maybe gold tape would be just as good and cheaper for me. Right now my 05 is just a DD. Stage 2 cobb OTS tune, Catless up/downpipe and a custom JmP VF40 (Which I couldn't be happier with, Thanks again John!) And I don't think I'm going to do much more power wise. Let me know what you guys think, Thank you.

Just pulling from the first thoughts that come to mind but what kind of commute do you have? I would think more opportunities for heat soak would warrant some thermal dispersant.

I opted for the gold tape route and a heat shield. A highly reflective surface that doesn't oxidize is just as good as something like a thermal dispersant I would think. While black objects absorb more heat, they also release heat much more easily. It's too bad we don't have more data to say convincingly one way or another.

I have some infrared thermometers to work with. Maybe I can provide some data for us to say. I would think most of the heat dispersion comes as a result of the massive core and fin density.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

My commute is about 15 miles, mostly highway. So not a whole lot of stop and go or traffic in my life. Which is why I was thinking against the thermal dispersant. My car definitely sees some spirited driving as I live outside the city

I would worry more about the connection to the BPV they supply. I've heard about several of those leaking.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I would worry more about the connection to the BPV they supply. I've heard about several of those leaking.

Might be anecdotal but mine holds just fine at 23 psi. Perhaps an installation issue? I am running a GFB BOV as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I don't believe either of mine leak. I will say you need to make sure the hose is inserted correctly, I took mine apart a couple of times because I didn't like the way it looked before I put the clamps on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm also looking to upgrade my tmic. I'm wondering if the grimmspeed version is the best option...?

Since the LGT-specific Process West is no longer made, yes, it is. My mechanic actually said he liked the way this kit was put together better than the PW. It's very well engineered and thought out.

I'm also looking to upgrade my tmic. I'm wondering if the grimmspeed version is the best option...?

That's an easy one, YES IT IS.

I have one coated the other one is not coated. I bought one direct from GS the other came from Rallysport. That one wasn't coated. I did the gold heat foil on that one above where the turbo sits.

I also have the gold foil under each of the heat shields over the turbo.

It can't hurt to get the coating, it can only help. That's why they offer it.

My IPR tmic I bought with the coating also.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Like stated above the black coating accelerates heat transfer both loss (good) and gain (bad).

If you want ultimate heat control:

1) Black coated version with gold tape on the end tanks

2) Raw finish version with gold tape on the end tanks and a little black spray paint on the fins.

When mighty car mods tested black paint on a front mount, I believe their results were 8 degrees cooler with the black coating.

Been wondering about gold foil on the bottoms of the black end tanks.

Was wondering if it would have the effect of keeping heat from dispersing from the coating under the tape?

Regular paint does exactly 0 for an intercooler.

This. In fact, covering the fins in anything can only hurt your performance. That applies to any radiator or similar. The majority of the heat transfer occurring at your fins will be due to conduction, and the more layers you have between the metal fins and the air passing through your heat exchanger, the worse performance you'll have. Can't comment on how much worse, but any worse is still worse.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone cover their endtanks in foam insulation or similar. That'd probably do more than reflective tape :lol:

Like stated above the black coating accelerates heat transfer both loss (good) and gain (bad).

If you want ultimate heat control:

1) Black coated version with gold tape on the end tanks

2) Raw finish version with gold tape on the end tanks and a little black spray paint on the fins.

When mighty car mods tested black paint on a front mount, I believe their results were 8 degrees cooler with the black coating.

The engineer explained guy went back and debunked it. Something about the paint being fresh and still gassing off.

Of say go for it. Get the coated version. Holds boost pressure better than the OEM stockie and the BoV/BPV connecting location holds just fine. Just be sure to check to make sure all areas bolted are secure. Took my TMIC off multiple times trying to adjust the universal GrimmSpeed IWG bracket to hold the door closed.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o280/leihalani/Mobile%20Uploads/20150214_233933_zpste52gyhd.jpg

Archived