LegacyGT.com

Trade Value

We are attempting to trade one of our Subarus in on a Honda. We are having problems getting Nada, Kbb or Blackbook values. In fact three appraisals came back $3000 under book value. When I questioned the appraiser he said, yeah we know what the numbers are but we are not going to give that kind of money on your car. They added there is nothing wrong with your car to deduct but we feel it is too much to give against the deal. One salesman offered that there is some jealousy of Subaru and the high trade values they supposedly are paying. Anyone else having this issue?

It is called The Art of the negotiation. The lower they will give you the less is the trade in n value. You have options: You can all ways walk away.

Laughing at Oneself and with others is Good for the Soul

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

A lot of dealerships won't even bother selling the car on their lot, but will instead sell it to wholesalers. For that reason, there's always a wholesale price and a retail price for used cars. What you want to check is the wholesale price and see how fair that is compared to what they are offering you.

I'm in Canada, so I use this site: http://www.vmrcanada.com/

We are having problems getting Nada, Kbb or Blackbook values. In fact three appraisals came back $3000 under book value.

Are you looking at wholesale "book value" or retail "book value?" You can't reasonably expect more than book wholesale on most trade-ins ... unless the dealership makes sufficient profit elsewhere in the deal.

When I questioned the appraiser he said, yeah we know what the numbers are but we are not going to give that kind of money on your car. They added there is nothing wrong with your car to deduct but we feel it is too much to give against the deal.
Different dealers have different business models, just as different buyers have different expectations and different negotiating styles. As the customer you wield the ultimate power: you can always go elsewhere, sell the vehicle yourself, or just keep driving it.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I had a similar experience talking to Heuberger briefly about getting an '18 STI. I did everything via email, so they didn't evaluate the vehicle in person. But, given the info I provided, they offered $20,500 on a trade. KBB, Nada, and Black Book all put the value at around 23.5k for a decent condition car. While my car isn't perfect (some door dings, rock chips on the front end, some minor scratches, nothing that couldn't be polished out), it's still in better condition than a lot of cars I see rolling around. Granted, they work more on the wholesale model. Still, that was enough for me to know that if I'm going to get a new car, I'd be looking to sell private party. I'd probably list it at around 28k and get as close to that as I can although I don't expect to get offers for the full 28k.

Learjet--- My experience was almost exactly the same. All three Honda dealers offered the exact same amount(somewhat suspicious) 3,000 under all three online appraisal sitesI.

I have walked away from all three local dealers. But my options are now limited.

Selling private party is probably the best route to go, but it difficult to find buyers who have access to 21,000 dollars.

My recent experience has helped me to see that Kbb, NADA and black book are practically useless when attempting to determine your trade value. Dealers pay no attention to these numbers and rely solely on their wholesale book values. We have no access to these numbers as these are dealer only.

So I guess we are paying with our trades losses for the huge building, tv ads and coffee and donuts in the waiting room.

Someone suggested going back to Subaru, we did initially but after driving the outback and forrester my wife felt it was no different that driving her legacy if not slightly worse. I do admit Subaru gave us the best trade value.

She drove the new Crv and really enjoyed the ride and some of the new features. It is her car so she has the final say. You know the old saying--If mama ain't happy no one is.

Wow, a dealer low balled you on a trade!! What a suprise. Who wudda thunk! Just amazing, with car dealers'well deserved reputation for honesty and respect for customers. I suggest you immediately go back to the Honda dealer and apologize for not taking their generous offer.

Every time I have ever went into a Honda dealership they always acting like pompous, arrogant phucks that were doing you a huge favor by letting you look at one of their precious douche-mobiles. Eff them and their current ugly-ass cars.
It is still ugly.

Every time I have ever went into a Honda dealership they always acting like pompous, arrogant phucks that were doing you a huge favor by letting you look at one of their precious douche-mobiles. Eff them and their current ugly-ass cars.

Years ago, the wife called me she wanted a new vehicle and requested an Accord and I said sure. I was not far from the house and just left a job site in one of my work vehicles instead of heading back to the office, I decided picked up the wife and head over to the Honda Dealership and buy her a new vehicle.

Well, what a mistake, the salesman took one look at me, my work truck and had a preconceived idea I was a slump and said "You can not afford it". I said "You have no idea what I can afford. I hire and fire imbeciles like you all the time."

I came back a little later in my Benz with the wife and told him "Never judge a book by its cover" Left there and pick up an new Audi for the wife.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Why don't you show her the Subaru Ascent should be in production and open for pre-order in a few months. http://www.planetsubaru.com/2019-subaru-ascent.htm . I been waiting for Subaru to release a 8 seater for 3 years now. I own Honda 13 years, I wouldn't want to buy a Honda again even though the new Honda Pilot AWD system does improve and they have forward and back collisions breaking. But I still see Subaru still leads in AWD, reliable and best resale value. I hardly ever seen any use Subaru sell on craigslist in my area. By when I change the keyword to other show up plenty.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

wanted an Accord...the salesman said "You can not afford it".

I would have spit in his face and laughed. Yes i can't afford this mass produced garbage that averages a car payment under $200. Please.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

... the salesman took one look at me ... and said "You can not afford it".

That is a common manipulative sales tactic, not limited to just car sales. It's your cue to take your business elsewhere.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

We are having problems getting Nada, Kbb or Blackbook values. In fact three appraisals came back $3000 under book value...Anyone else having this issue?

Salespeople do this every day. You were low-balled. They do it because it works on a good percentage of people, who just want to get the whole process over with. It is shooting fish in a barrel from the salesman's point-of-view. They might make more money on the trade-in than they did selling the new car.

You know what the car is worth within a range, somewhere between the wholesale book value and private party sale price. The dealership is a business and they have to make a profit, but they don't have to cheat you.

Years ago, the wife called me she wanted a new vehicle and requested an Accord and I said sure. I was not far from the house and just left a job site in one of my work vehicles instead of heading back to the office, I decided picked up the wife and head over to the Honda Dealership and buy her a new vehicle.

Well, what a mistake, the salesman took one look at me, my work truck and had a preconceived idea I was a slump and said "You can not afford it". I said "You have no idea what I can afford. I hire and fire imbeciles like you all the time."

I came back a little later in my Benz with the wife and told him "Never judge a book by its cover" Left there and pick up an new Audi for the wife.

Oh man you are better then me.. I'm too short tempered :lol:

I hate dealers like that man I really do like I said I would of flipped

I'm dealing with this right now. I've had three trade appraisals and have gotten hammered in all of them. I understand the mechanics of the deal, but I'm not going to give them my car.

Which is why I'm selling my Legacy privately, if anyone here in the New England area is interested. It's a well appointed base model priced to sell.

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/6220923091.html

I am surprised that no one has mentioned what is going on in the use car market. Right now there are a lot of people returning leased cars and there is an over supply of new and 3-4 year old used cars as people are going for cars that are cheaper (5+ years old).

What do you thing this has done to the prices of these over supplied newer used cars? it's driving them down... Although Subaru's hold their value well, they are not immune...

oh and if anyone is wondering what the average new car inventory supply is it is creeping up on 80 days and GM in particular has a 105 day supply... add to that the fact that all of the auto makers are using heavy incentives to keep sales up and you got a recipe for disaster...

Archived