LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I've used:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/182263438865?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=484756727725&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

But I use it for my phone and not a tablet. I'm not 100% sure if it'll charge at the rate required for the tablet, as these cheap cables don't always have the same spec as the OEM ones.

You're not going to find any right-angle cable that will fit between your vent duct and the tablet. There's not nearly enough space. Your options are to cut into the vent (see above), or to relocate the USB port on the tablet (see how I did it several pages back, or just search posts by me in this thread). It helps to be handy with a soldering iron ;)

You're not going to find any right-angle cable that will fit between your vent duct and the tablet. There's not nearly enough space. Your options are to cut into the vent (see above), or to relocate the USB port on the tablet (see how I did it several pages back, or just search posts by me in this thread). It helps to be handy with a soldering iron ;)

I wish I trusted myself enough to do that. Right now I have the hole in the duct but was hoping to avoid it while I'm redoing my setup

http://www.btssm.com/

Made by our very own, heiche. Easily some of the best couple of bucks you'll spend.

I might have asked this before but are you guys running btssm Bluetooth or wired, I am Bluetooth and it freezes under moderate throttle?

I'm in the middle of an update, hope is the tablet doesn't have to come out again after I'm all said and done with the install!

IMG_3807.thumb.PNG.22fb734e2bdd6763f9f1d12458e882eb.PNG

Not sure if its just a setting somewhere that I haven't found yet but does everyone elses screen dim right down when opening power event manager when flashed with the timur rom? Kinda bugging me as its virtually unreadable on a sunny day, every other app just runs with the standard brightness selected.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Not sure if its just a setting somewhere that I haven't found yet but does everyone elses screen dim right down when opening power event manager when flashed with the timur rom? Kinda bugging me as its virtually unreadable on a sunny day, every other app just runs with the standard brightness selected.

Myn does. It has the regular setting but always dims right down and the position on the sti makes it unreadable with even a little light.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

• 2 weeks later...

Out with the new and in with the old?

I've reverted back to stock now, as I had to rip everything out for the airbag recall. Since I'm going to sell the car in the new future, and don't think it adds any value to the car I'm leaving it stock.

That being said, I've added a couple of magnetic mounts into the cubby, and a magnetic micro USB charging cable. Added all the same software to my Android phone (Samsung Active S6) and it's basically the same experience on a smaller screen.

The nice thing is I'm not worried about power management anymore, the phone goes with me when I leave, and there's no fiddling with cables as it all magnetically snaps into place.

20170216_174804.thumb.jpg.0625daae471329de8c576256befd0b26.jpg

20170216_174858.thumb.jpg.13dc7806c7b992a66a47aba3a6a8b797.jpg

20170210_171716.thumb.jpg.faf516b574de5b6528eac903f7a96120.jpg

Edited by mclarenf3

It's been a few days now with this setup, and I'm very comfortable and happy with how easily it works. Here's a quick video of how simple it is placing it in the cubby and removing it.

https://goo.gl/photos/hdHqQ4g6uHAKa6H88

The reason I have to swipe the phone is because of my lock screen settings. However with Android Auto, it actually turns the screen on and shows the app without and swipes.

That one is called Car Home Ultra. There's a free version and a paid one I believe. I have the paid one, and have been using that on my tablet for years now. It works quite well on my phone too. Very customizable, and allows automation for things like starting and stopping when the car powers on and off, along with a bunch of built in features that are good to have.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome&hl=en

Then, you're going to have a setup very close to mine except that fm transmitter thing (don't know if you saw the video I posted a while ago). I do have a pre-amp and car audio amps. The tablet is my audio source, which obviously takes care of navigation voice pausing the music and so on.

I commend you for still playing CDs actually :). Higher quality sound than the regular 128kbps or even 320 kbps mp3 bitrates.

On a side note, I muted the google map navigation voice. I hate it :mad:. So I just keep an eye on the screen every so often to know when to turn.