LegacyGT.com

Clutch install - you can do it without a transmission jack and only one person.

Deer Killer

Strap against pitch stop arm takes place of Subaru special tool to keep the engine aligned.

Floor jack works just fine using the center of gravity of the transmission. There's a tab under the case so it can't slide off the pad either.

Came out and went in smooth as butter. I see everyone complains about this part. Tried to get engine/transmission balanced before pulling it out, and I measured the alignment when the transmission was going back in but 2-3" out and corrected it via the jack and the ratcheting strap attached to the pitch stop arm until it was parallel.

Of course you have to be careful. Don't ham fist it and blame me when you drop the tranny :)

IMG_1604.thumb.JPG.e70a6a04ffd3c6878c5ded5014e88058.JPG

IMG_1603.thumb.JPG.a9fe56b3c378768be099e45da0a7b629.JPG

IMG_1605.thumb.jpg.4d4cac344db6858fe70888e5e8f0ac8f.jpg

Good Job, I notice you have the same crappy floor jack I bought years ago. I have had it rebuilt once but a year or so later it started leaking again.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have 5 other floor jacks that I can use, I just bought one (blue and silver) from Harbor Fright. I have the old black Sears steel jack that I bought in 2003 that still works great and is my first choice to use.

I bought a silver one from HF in early 2010 that works well too. I also have the HF tranny jack.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 years later...
Anyone have any clue where the other end of the strap is attached to in the third picture? Is the purpose to tilt the engine down towards the transmission, when you're trying to connect them back together?

I've never removed a transmission before, but if you are trying to tilt the engine down luka, you can try some of the things he mentions in the video below. At about 16:05, he mentions putting a block of wood, foam, etc. between the front of the engine and the radiator. He also mentions a jack with a block of wood under the crank pulley too.

• 3 weeks later...
when i did mine, i removed the pitch stop and hooked a ratchet tie down where the pitch stop was on the firewall and a lift point on the engine, it holds the engine tilted rearwards while the transmission is out. i got a harborfrieght trans jack for the job. you can do the job with one person but if you have a friend that can hand you tools and maybe help with certain alignment tasks like holding the crank while you tighten flywheel bolts it makes the job easier. also you need to get the car very high in the air to be able to clear the car attached pic is putting it back in.

IMG00058-20110206-2204.thumb.jpg.b709d7d1a46949cbde0d3be0d56cb1f8.jpg

Archived