LegacyGT.com

stock shifter sucks

the shifter feels too tall and rubbery and unwilling to engage. has anyone found a solution, or any experiences with short shifter kits. this was a test drive of a new gt and loved the car except the seats and shifter. seats were not supportive and i slid all over but that is not so much a big deal as the shifter...

2 items you need to purchase to FIX stock shifter. I've done this and the difference is absolutely amazing.

1. KartBot shifter bushings.

2. COBB double adjustable short shifter.

You can infinitely adjust throw and hieght to your exact preference. Not too short (stiff) not too long (loose). You'll be very glad you did.

I haven't put a short shifter or bushings into in GT yet (but I will) but just changing out the stock shift knob to the Kartboy Knuckleball that I had from my WRX made a big improvement in feel. And as for "unwilling to engage" what exactly do you mean there. The only gear that I've had a slight problem with getting the car into was reverse. Its been very easy to shift other than that and is much better than my WRX was in that regard.

Reverse is typically a hard gear to engage without double clutching because it doesn't employ the use of synchros (or at least it didn't in my '02 WRX).

After 3 years of having to use brute force in 1-2 shifts in the WRX using Kartoy bushings and SS, the feel of the Legacy's shifter is a welcome relief.

I have the Sti STS with momo shift knob and love it. An improvement over the stock shifter for sure. Though I have read reports to the contrary, I do not find the STS to be notchy as some have said...but it is firmer and has more precise feedback than the stock shifter. It also, of course, has shorter throws though some have said "moderate" rather than "short". Also, unlike others, I have ALWAYS been able to get in to reverse on the first try since the STS was installed (almost never could before).

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Ohh my instructions....I feel so proud ;p......but they will be the same for any STS you buy, so go with the one you want....I went with the Cobb cuz you could adjust the height and the throw...after 3 or 4 adjustments, I think I've got it now. And I got the Momo shifter knob, world of diff compared to the stock (but man it gets COLD)....I will be do'n my bushings once it gets above 5 degrees here in MA.......F'n christ it's cold......thank god I don't live in MN........brrrrrrrrrrrr

• 1 year later...

Has anyone done the bushings install.

Do you really need to suppor the tranny like the link said?

I have the instructiosn from Cobb and they say nothing about taking off the tranny support bracket.

They just say go right for the bolts holding the bushings in.

:)

Perhaps that link is WRX specific and for legacy we don't need to do that.... ??

Has anyone done the bushings install.

Do you really need to suppor the tranny like the link said?

I have the instructiosn from Cobb and they say nothing about taking off the tranny support bracket.

They just say go right for the bolts holding the bushings in.

:)

Perhaps that link is WRX specific and for legacy we don't need to do that.... ??

I didnt have to unbolt anything, my hand easily slipped into the spot. You can remove the heat shield and it will make the install easier, especially if you do the rear shifter bushing.

I got the Momo shifter knob, world of diff compared to the stock (but man it gets COLD)....I will be do'n my bushings once it gets above 5 degrees here in MA.......F'n christ it's cold......thank god I don't live in MN........brrrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah it gets cold and it gets really really hot in the summer too. Metal and black not a good combo for the summer sun.

Went from the stock shifter to the Kartboy with a MOMO raceair ball. A bit more notchy but nothing I wont get used to. I like the setup overall.

Yeah, this is the setup FTW. Lovin' mine. It's a significant improvement in feel.

• 4 weeks later...
I suggest the momo race airleather knob--it's all leather (except for the very top), not half aluminum. Only problem you can push it all the way down due to the ridge on the shaft (you'll see it if you take the boot down).

Archived