LegacyGT.com

Thin Sheet Metal?

My car is 10 months old, EVERY door has dings in it alread. My 8 year old A4 had none when I got rid of it. Our truck doesn't have any and its 6 years old (toyota).

So I decided to start looking at other subarus in parking lots. Guess what? I couldn't find a single one that DIDN't have dents in teh door! (unless it was brand new). I looked at 10 year old Jettas, Audis, hell even Chevy Cavaliers, and the dents just weren't there. Sure some had dents, however the ones on my car are creases from where doors hit it. Cooincidence or just thin sheet metal? My guess is thin sheet metal.

NO matter, I am annoyed. At the rate my car is acquiring dings I won't have more than a 2" square of straigh metal on the doors after a few years.

tell me about it...it's like soda can thin.

thinner, unfortunely.

my passenger side door has 2 dings already... only can see under certain angles when the car is clean... right how its covered in pollen and i cant even spot it when i know where they are located..

nissan also has some thin sheet metal... my friends g35c has dings too.

I'm very lucky in that I don't have any dings yet... but I do have scratches. (Damn tumbleweeds!)

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Those dents are cause by other people, not Subaru. I will not park where someone else's door can hit my car - period.

Avoid parking lots with tiny spaces, or park in the middle of nowhere. My car is almost 2 years old and doesn't have any dents.

Those dents are cause by other people, not Subaru. I will not park where someone else's door can hit my car - period.

Avoid parking lots with tiny spaces, or park in the middle of nowhere. My car is almost 2 years old and doesn't have any dents.

+1....

I always survey where I park... end spots or corner spots.... or near nice cars...

+1....

I always survey where I park... end spots or corner spots.... or near nice cars...

I've annoyed many a person riding with me by circling parking lots or parking 3 miles away just so I could stay away from other cars. :icon_bigg

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Let me get this straight--you want great acceleration, nimble handling, decent gas mileage AND armor plating??

Not going to happen. Your Legacy's performance and handling are greatly reliant on light weight. Subaru does some nice engineering with high-strength steel reinforcements, use of aluminum alloys where possible. Non-critical areas (like your doors) are lightened with thinner sheet.

It's just the way it is, and is not exclusive to Subaru. Most new models also have thinner metal in non-structural areas.

If you don't like it, you need to get a very different type of vehicle. The Bentley looks nice at $200K. It's fast, too!!

P.

My wife's '05 Durango has the soda can doors as well. I mean truly and honestly they are as easy to put an impression in as a soda can. I farted once getting out of it and dented the door.
Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

Honda is just as bad. In fact, the only cars I have not had issues with were a 56' chevy (very thick sheet metal, but the paint chipped instead of doors getting dinged) and a 69' vette (fiberglass, if hit hard enough the door will just crack).

I've thought about putting a large rubber bumber around the car when I park, maybe inflatable. But then people would do stuff to the car just for spite.

I hate to sound like Saturn...

But if they are going to go with such lightweight and delicate panels, then why not just make the door skins out of sheet-molded composite, or something.

Light weight, and less likely to get damaged by door dings.

I have had 4 dings pulled in a year of owning my 2005. I parked in a tight parking spot 4 times and EACH TIME came back to find somebody had bashed into the car with their door. So I am back to parking in the boonies whenever possible.

Also I had a depression dent in the rear quarter panel the day I picked up my new car. I was pissed, but the dealer had me wait 30 minutes while their dent guy pushed it out. To kill the time I walked around the car lot and found (to my surprise) that every third or fourth car had the identical dent, in the same location. I brought it to my salesperson's attention. On a recent visit to the dealer for service I asked the sales dude if they found the cause and if it was still happening. Turned out to be one of sales people (a larger sales person) was leaning his ass on the cars when he was showing them to customers. That was all it took to dent the sheet metal. :lol:

tell me about it...it's like soda can thin.

It's a race car with special race metal. I leaned against my front quarter one day and heard a clunk. Thank god it clunked back out when I got my ass off it. I should have known better anyhow.

Get to know your local paintless dent removal guy.

This is not my beautiful car.

:( - Luckily.. I don't have any such issues...... knock on wood....

Oh now you're screwed....:lol:

I dented my OWN door when I let it swing open and hit the corner of a concrete step that was leading up from the curb....I was beyond PO'd! :(

I'm willing to live with thinner metal in return for a lighter car...Structurally the car is as solid as they come -and that's what matters...to me anyway

Oh now you're screwed....:lol:

I dented my OWN door when I let it swing open and hit the corner of a concrete step that was leading up from the curb....I was beyond PO'd! :(

I'm willing to live with thinner metal in return for a lighter car...Structurally the car is as solid as they come -and that's what matters...to me anyway

Oh geesh... I hope not!!!!! :icon_mrgr

My buddys nissan marano after 3 yrs looks like someone took a machine gun to the front end. Its got a million nicks from rocks exposing the primer on the front end and hood, plus its black which doesnt help.

Archived