LegacyGT.com

New to Subaru help me out with tranny choice!

hankmccoy

Ok so here I am new to the Subaru scene!

To get straight to the point I've fallen in love with the 2nd gen Legacy wagons. I really want to build one I'm just addicted! Now heres my situation I have a chance to get a 98 Outback from my grandma for next to nothing. Its got high miles around 260k but well taken care of I do maintenance regularly for her. I've been building Hondas for a while and I'm currenty in a 93 Civic so my Legacy will sit while I put together an STI swap! With that in mind the Outback I can get is an auto. I dont know anything about these cars but I know with Hondas I stay away from autos. So with the plan of an STI swap would I be alright with an auto or should I look to trade it for or buy a manual?

Sorry for the noob question I'm really not car dumb at all I just dont know much about these. So give me your $.02

I realized this is sort of vague so to elaborate I dont have much of a preference and Im looking to the performance side on whether the auto will rob me of performance or if it can perform well in comparison to the manual and/or what would need to be done to get that performance.

Your post is confusing. How did a Legacy come into the picture?

Are you referring to it as the Legacy Outback? You would be correct, but I want to make sure that is the case.

That year Outback, the tranny is a tragic 4-speed, with a heavy front-wheel-drive bias (90/10). There is nothing performance about it and an STi swap would kill it quick.

If this is the car you are planning to do an STi swap in, then it is a poor choice.

You are dumping a disproportionate amount of money into the engine while severely skimming on the platform it will be stuffed into.

If you are currently into a 93 Civic and want to build something, I would pick another Subaru and pass on this Outback.

At the same time though, depending on what condition your Civic is in, dumping it and going to the Outback as a daily driver and picking another car to build may be an upgrade for you.

There ARE Subaru automatics that can hold their own, but i wouldn't spend any money strengthening one in a 2nd gen Outback with 260K on the odo.

Archived