LegacyGT.com

Fair price to charge to change my friends clutch

iv_05gt

500 is a pretty good price for the job and fluid especially to know its done right. I paid a little less for my first one from a local shop and turns out they stripped out one of the bolt holes for my slave cylinder. Didnt have the proper torx bit to take my drain plug out so they chisled it out.

500 is a pretty good price for the job and fluid especially to know its done right. I paid a little less for my first one from a local shop and turns out they stripped out one of the bolt holes for my slave cylinder. Didnt have the proper torx bit to take my drain plug out so they chisled it out.

Ouch!

I'd charge no less than $200 labor, with all parts and fluid supplied by your friend.

I work on cars a lot, and a lot of my friends are aware of it.

At one time I would do work for beer, or on a "just help me while I do it and you can learn some stuff, buddy" basis. It didn't take long before "friends" I never even knew I had were coming out of the woodwork asking for favors. In a lot of cases those so called friends wouldn't even offer to spot me a few bucks for cleaner and the small odds and ends needed to get a lot of the jobs done.

I still deal with a lot of that, as well as a lot of people who act pissed and betrayed when I actually ask for compensation for my work, even though it's still cheaper than any shop in our area.

Be fair to yourself... people will run you ragged otherwise, even "friends."

Sorry, / new guy rant.

I would happily pay 300 for a well done clutch job! its 700$ labour from a reputable shop and still 400 from someone I don't really trust. Friends should get a discount but you need to get paid for your time, pinching your fingers and getting greasy.

i just did my friends water pump and clutch this past saturday, he wanted to pay me and instead i told him he can just pick up dinner next time we go out with the wives. I had a fun time hanging out in my garage and working on the car with him, he's not mechanically inclined but i think he learned a few things, and had a sence of pride when it was all done.

Archived