LegacyGT.com

Phantom Grip LSD

ChefRacer

Hey, I was just wondering if anybody here has tried one of these on an 05-09 LGT, seems like a cheap option for an LSD. It seems strange that their website lists 1990-present being just one "LSD" without any changes in over 20 years of models.

Just curious

A huge part of the cost of an LSD in a 5-speed is just dropping and cracking the diff. That option just seems like a jerry rig.

That said, it isn't like the subaru 5 speed has changed much in 20 years, so it is possible that that thing would "work" in all years. It might work in drag only cars, but nothing else.

I wouldn't bother.

http://mycomputerninja.com/?p=440

Primitive artwork, but I think I see how it works, and I wouldn't want one in my transmission. In the rear, you're only going to kill an R160 if it ends up polluting your oil with shrapnel. But in the front, the whole transmission is at risk if you end up with metal in your oil. Too risky in my opinion.

The front diff in the 5MT hasnt changed since 89. The layout of the transmission hasn't really changed either. A few small revisions, but no overall system changes.

Should you use one of these? Under no circumstances. You would be better off with an OBX diff, and under no circumstances should you install an OBX diff.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Some people used these in the old 5mt taurus SHO's with disasterous results. Most people (myself included) went with the quaife LSD, even though it cost $1000 more. You don't want to skimp on something that goes inside your transmission.

Archived