LegacyGT.com

Question about auto vs manual

I'm sure this has been debated in many threads, but I would like to keep this simple. Lets assume that the limited GT manual is 5.8 0-60, then how far behing 0-60 is the auto. 6.2 seconds perhaps??

I have driven both, but most times I like rowing through the gears, and then again its nice to sit back and enjoy cruising without the hassle of shifting. If the performance #'s are close, i may go with auto. Other than the manual being a little faster and a mildly different AWD system, there isn't much diferrence in the 2 I think?? Thank in advance.

It's going to vary from car to car, and of course from launch to launch, but on average I'd say the auto is probably about 1/2 second slower 0-60.

Ultimately I don't think it makes that much difference. If you're not a manual fan, don't get the manual.

if your worried about the auto numbers....remember there are plenty of mods that can get you to the manual numbers. the cobb asseccport is only $650 and re-maps your ECU to give you 290 hp and 305 torque with 93 octane. I'd think that should make the auto just as fast as a stock manual, if not faster.

Yup, I'd say close to a second difference, but the auto is going to be much more consistent and can stand a few more mistakes in comparision to the manual if you are wringing out the fastest 0-60 possible.

Much more important to me was the vast difference in feeling when hitting it from a roll, not sure how big of a difference numbers-wise. Tested both. As a passenger, was disappointed with how the auto felt from 5-50. The manual put a smile on my face a short 40 minutes later on the same test route.

-B

Surely the auto is not that much slower. I'd like to know if the automatic times are done with power braking. You know, stomp the brake with your left foot, build boost with your right, side step the brake and whoosh your off! I had a 85 Dodge Lancer 2.2 turbo in high school and I could get the engine up to 3000 rpm under power braking and it launched much quicker than just stomping the gas. I used to whoop Camaros/Firebirds, Rx-7s, Celicas, etc. back in the late 80's with my 4-door sedan. I can't wait to get a Legacy GT when the wife's SUV is paid off.

I have had a 5MT since I was 16years old. My 04'WRX was a manual. I am getting old so I went with the 5EAT. I love it; fast enough for me. Uppipe and downpipe are on the wait.

I'm 45 and I drive the 5MT...never too old! :D

Auto VS Manual

Buy a WRX STI and let Subaru make the decision for you! :D :D :D

I love my Manual Legacy and am going to get my wife to get an Outback 5eat for our next car. I am so impressed with my Subaru compared to the crap I have owned, I dont think you can go wrong with either.

Autos are great if you have to drive in stop and go traffic all the time. Otherwise go manual much much more fun and control over the car...

Pretty sure 0-60 in most reports has gotten around 6.5 secs, but I think the 1/4 time is not bad at all ie mid 14s maybe lower

I don't think that the auto is really going to be that much slower to make a huge difference. I think you you should pick which type of transmission you'd be most comfortable driving.

For me I have to go through stop and go traffic, but every car I've ever owned has always been a manual. I just find driving a manual to be a much more engaging and pleasurable experience, even in stop and go.

I've driven both auto and manual. The auto is the one i wanted but it seemed sluggish to me. It didn't carry the g's that the manual kicks. there seems to be a bigger boost on the manual. I can't really exmplain it. Just test drive it to see what I'm talking about. Either way, both are still great. Nothing beats an automatic in traffic.

Who really cares about a 1/2 a second in 0 - 60 times on an AWD car? Anybody doing repeated serious launches with either tranny (high rpms and side-stepping the clutch or pre-loading the auto) is asking for expensive trouble.

One of the reasons the manual is faster is the gearing ratios give it better accelaration (hence lower top end speed). The other reason is the auto is slightly detuned. As was said, the auto can be modded in various ways to remove the discrepancy, if not beat it. Ofcourse the manual could also be modded to go faster. I'm looking forward one day to see an advanced SMG option that does both as I like options - sometimes I love the auto, other times wish I had a manual for more control and better acceleration. Driven both types all my life and I still don't have a preference of one over the other. Hence the wish for the SMG. Apparently the SMG on the Lamborghini Gallardo is smooth as silk yet performs superbly, yet the one on the BMWs are rough.

The other reason is the auto is slightly detuned.

I believe output with the non-USDM 5EAT is detuned. To the best of my knowledge, the USDM turbo makes the same output for both 5MT and 5EAT.

Ken

i think your right they are rated with the same power...but i do believe the gear ratio's are different. all the test reports i've seen list the auto around .5 to .9 seconds slower to 60. Again this is dependent upon launch...but side by side and too good launches the manual should win out each time.

p.s. manuals are more fun

... not to mention the auto will have more power loss through the transmission. Automatics can also tend to be troublesome at high mileage. Often times the reason you'll sell a car after driving it into the ground is the automatic transmission is shot. Needless to say I prefer a manual for all these reasons and more. And as fun as the LGT will be to drive, I think you should go for a manual as well.:D

Archived