LegacyGT.com

Tokico strut and Cobb sway update

rodan

This morning I installed the JDM/Bilstein tophats w/ the iON front springs for that specific fitment on the Tokico struts. As expected, everything bolted up properly, FINALLY.

I also installed the Cobb V.2 rear sway bar. Bolted up with no issues, and I decided on the 'stiffer' setting this time.

The good news is the clunking from the RSB is gone. :D

The other good news, is there's no bad news.

I didn't really notice a big difference between the 'softer' setting on the old RSB, and the 'stiffer' setting on the replacement, but the car is nicely neutral with a bit of off throttle oversteer to get it to rotate. It still pushes a bit at the limit, and I can live with that.

All in all, I think the iONs and Tokicos make a good combination if you're looking for much improved handling, a slight drop, and a good ride. At least I'm happy with them, now that I've worked out the fitment issues with the Tokicos...

A couple of Qs...

Do you have the Cobb front sway as well? I'm wondering if it would help with turn-in and reduce push.

Have you used other springs besides the Ions? I'm curious about ride quality/performence compared to other options on non-USDM struts (I have JDM GTs).

Tom

I am running revA JDM Bilsteins on iON (Bilstein spec) springs with HD rear springs and COBB F&R sways (rear on stiff).

So a very similiar set-up.

All-in-all a very nice package, but not perfect.

I agree with everything said above, and my car still pushes a bit even though a got stiffer rate rear springs to help the rear rotate a bit better.

The one thing I don't like about the Bilstein top-hats is they mean a shorter spring and there-by less suspension travel. It is a lot easier to bottom out my front suspension now then before. This is not the fault of the springs, but the spring design is necessitated by the top-hats. Not a real big negative, but a consideration.

As far as the 50% FSB helping with push, NO NO NO!

I have heard sooo many times that on Subaru's strut suspension that a thicker FSB will help the outside tire grip better (Which is true, the tire stays flatter on the road). So maybe it helps a bit, but a thicker FSB will not help your frent end grip better as a whole.

With RSB only I could rotate my car with ease. Add FSB and no way, not gonna rotate. Stiffen up rear even more helps the situation, but still does not rotate anywhere close to RSB only and OEM FSB.

For auto-X I will take out my FSB. For track I will put it back in because the car is a little too unstable at 140 mph.

I really wish the COBB FSB was adj or was only 25% stiffer in the front. IMO that would be perfect.

With RSB only I could rotate my car with ease. Add FSB and no way, not gonna rotate. Stiffen up rear even more helps the situation, but still does not rotate anywhere close to RSB only and OEM FSB.

What does that mean when you refer to "rotate" & "push," specifically? I see these terms mentioned in other threads but don't know what it translates to in real world terms. And are you saying that the car handles better w/ the stock FSB?

I've got the identical setup as Rodan with the same complaint about reduced travel, otherwise very happy. Just wish I could add about 1.5" of travel. Considering the MR coilovers specific to the OBXT - not holding my breath tho.

What does that mean when you refer to "rotate" & "push," specifically? I see these terms mentioned in other threads but don't know what it translates to in real world terms.

Push is understeer.

Rotate is oversteer.

This morning I installed the JDM/Bilstein tophats w/ the iON front springs for that specific fitment on the Tokico struts. As expected, everything bolted up properly, FINALLY.

Same parts on order for my car. Glad to hear it went smooth and your fitment issues are over with.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I do have the front sway bar. Actually, running just the rear would increase oversteer over running both bars, but having the front does help with turn in. I think I could pick up a little more front bite with more agressive alignment numbers, but this is a daily driver, not a track car. I'm pretty satisfied with the handling overall. It'll still rotate on lift throttle, and overall, it's very neutral on throttle, with just a bit of understeer when really pushing it.

I've only run the iONs, as when I bought them, there weren't many other options, and the iONs seemed to have a better ride than the Pinks or Swifts, which were the only other springs available at the time...

rodan,

Can you take some pics of your car from the side so I can see how much this raised your front end up?

I'd love to see some close ups of the front and some full side shots~!

Thanks!

Check out the last couple pages of the Silver photos thread. There are several there. It hasn't raised the front, as I switched to the Bilstein top hat specific front iON springs.

Check out the last couple pages of the Silver photos thread. There are several there. It hasn't raised the front, as I switched to the Bilstein top hat specific front iON springs.

How much were those?

• 4 weeks later...
The front springs were $200+ shipping

So what was the deal with your original USDM front springs from iON...too short?

If I want to keep the USDM iON's what tophats do I need to get the same front height I currently have?

So what was the deal with your original USDM front springs from iON...too short?

If I want to keep the USDM iON's what tophats do I need to get the same front height I currently have?

Regular iON springs sit higher then Bilstein specific ones. The Bilstein top-hat raises the car, but the springs lower it back down to the same as normal top-hats and regular iONs.

Make sense yet?:icon_wink

I guess I should answer your question:

Regular iONs need regular tophats to sit 30 mm lower then stock. Can't always use regular top-hats though, it depends on the strut.

anyone hear more about Tokico's progress in making USDM specific top hats?

Tokico won't make tophats, if anything they might make the threaded portion of the strut longer to work with USDM tophats.

In the meantime, they are shipping the JDM topats with the springs, or at least that's what JSC is providing. My set is on order with them, but I've yet to recieve them. The last update I got was their distributor was waiting on the tophats.

• 3 months later...
Part number of Tokico's?

T38HTS006

I may have found some...$557.96 shipped.

Nope, you didn't. I say that because everyone of the people who has searched recently have found a vendor that says they are in stock, or can still be ordered. Then they send in their money, then the vendor tells them they are disco'd, then they deal with a refund.

Anyways, I hope you have found a set, but alas, I doubt it.

Archived