LegacyGT.com

Leaking HG, can it wait?

So my '05 2.5i with 177k kms (~110k miles) has a slight leak in the D/S head gasket. I don't have any oil/coolant mixture milkshakes in it yet, but a fair amount of coolant leaks out. Enough that I have to re-fill with coolant before every long highway drive (2+hrs @ 110kph or above) or else the needle will start to creep up. If it does, slowing down and blasting the heater seems to bring it back to the middle.

So give it to me straight doc... how long do I got? Can I run it this way for a while and replace it when it pops, or do I need to have it done sooner than that? I've been told that replacing my rad cap can prolong it's life a bit, but is there anything else I can do? Can I wait until next summer and DIY, as I plan to do valve cover gaskets as well?

The longer you wait on doing head gaskets the more it costs when you get them done. It will slowly cause other damage (heads warping, etc) so if you can afford to do them now, do them. Also as Max said, you don't want to be stuck on the side of the road in winter.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Thankfully the car will be in British Columbia until May so it's not quiiite as bad but I know what you're saying.

AZP, how much should I expect to pay for a HG job? I'll have to add an extra ~20% because this is Canada (even worse, it's BC) and we pay more for everything.

Hopefully I can find a decent shop in Kelowna (there aren't many), so i don't have to resort to having it done at the dealer which is a very real possibility.

Depending on if the car has overheated at all, that will determine if the block/heads have been warped will determine how much extra work may need to be done. You are probably looking at $2k-3k depending on those factors. That's how much we usually charge but we also include a whole timing belt job, coolant, fluids, plugs, etc. We also use the STi Metal HG instead of the OEM oil-impregnated cardboard ones that are stock.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Car has never properly overheated. As soon as the needle starts to go up on long drives I crank the heater and slow down, then dump coolant into the overflow and it's fine for the rest of the trip. I've also done timing belt/water pump/plugs 18k kms ago so that wouldn't need doing.

Archived